Monday, April 17, 2006

Was It Worth Getting My Shoes Wet?

Yesterday, I noticed the gas prices at the cheap Texaco near my place. The lowest grade gas was $2.91/gallon. It's probably clicked over to at least $3 by now.

$3/gallon! GAH! I remember [way back when] driving around until I could find gas for under $1 ... similar to those heady college days where we would drive around trying to find bottles of Boone's Farm for under $1.05.

$3/gallon has caused me to reevaluate my commuting situation. This month, with John gone, I have been driving to work every day. According to Google Maps, it's a 4 mile trip. GMC Envoys get about 15 mpg.

Doing the math ...

I use about 0.5 gallons per day for my commute. That would be $1.50. Not too bad, I guess. Except it also costs me between $4.50-$5 to park per day. $6.50 each day. Just to get to work.

So, today I decided to metro. One way from Fort Totten Station to Silver Spring Station during rush hour is $1.40. For a total commuting savings of [$6.50 - $2.80 = ] $3.70! Woo Hoo!

The actual travel time is about the same what with having to walk to and from the stations versus sitting at lots and lots of stoplights. I guess this week, I'll take public transportation when possible. Of course, when I drive the big honkin' SUV, my shoes don't get as wet.

5 comments:

  1. Wait a minute, is it normal that the work doesn't cover your commucation expenses over there? huh....That's kinda sad. Good choice to commute by public transportation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you contribute less to global warming (as if there's any hope at this point!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three bucks a gallon just pisses me off. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It occurred to me this morning as I stood on the Blue line in the tunnel between Foggy Bottom and Farragut West, that the operators waste a ton of energy inching forward 10 feet, stopping, inching forward 10 feet, stopping, as another train in front of us moves forward and off the platform. All that mass getting moving and stopping over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Just to be a little personal... I make $700 a month, about $100 of that spent on gas each month just to get to work. It's a 30-mile round trip to work for me, plus I have to drive as part of my job. (I get a whopping 34 cents a mile, but the 30 miles each day doesn't count towards that.)I live in the country and commute, so I have no choice.

    I would defintely take public transportation if it was available!

    ReplyDelete