Tuesday, April 18, 2006

There Are No New Ideas

This morning, VUBOQ ran head-on into postmodernism (possibly), and, *ow*, I think I bruised something, maybe my femur or my scapula.

Even after reading the long, long entry on postmodernism in Wikipedia, I'm still not sure I get it. Someone once explained Postmodern Thought (PoMoTho?) as stating that there are no original ideas. Everything is a rehash of something that has already been done. That may not be correct, but that's how I'm going to define it. So there. *nyah*

Anyway, this morning, while I was in the shower, my two separate blog personalities began a discussion. We were brainstorming ideas on what we could do, as blogs, to help improve the environment. More specifically, what we could do to mitigate the onset of climate change.

Naturally, with gas prices rapidly increasing to over $3/gallon ($3.05 at the cheap Texaco station near my apartment), we first considered encouraging people to give up driving their cars, or carpooling, once a week. However, after some debate, we decided this wouldn't be practical. Some people live in the wilderness without easy access to public transportation or carpooling neighbors.

Then, we hit upon a great idea: What if we convinced people to give up meat for one meal a week?

People in blogworld seem to love "themed" blog entries, such as the inexplicably popular Half-Naked Thursdays. What if we could convince all those people who like to plaster semi-naked photos of themselves all over the web to also give up meat for one meal a week and post a picture of that meal?

What if we started a "Meat-free Monday" Campaign? Wouldn't that be great? Wouldn't it?

Apparently so.

Even though, my idea may not be entirely original ... the reasoning seems to be. The site above was created for health reasons (and allows fish, which, I hate to break it to you, is actually meat).

Think about it. You could give up meat for one meal a week. Start to improve you health. And, maybe even help the environment. Not too shabby, eh?

In case you're wondering, I am vegetarian. Here's my explanation of why on Envirowonk.

That entry also has some interesting links on how:

Vegetarianism helps the environment, and
Vegetarianism combats world hunger.

So, stay tuned to see if I can get this Meat-Free Monday thing to fly.

*smooches*

Cross-posted on Envirowonk

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    I've been a vegetarian for 13 years or so, and I've noticed it pisses a lot of people off. I don't know why people take my eating habits so seriously, but it really gets to them. Or people tell me, "I could never be a vegetarian! I love meat too much!" It's like they feel threatened or something, like they think I'm criticizing their choices, so their going to criticize me first. Ever been treated that way, Vuboq?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have. Meat eaters get weird about it. It's because eating meat makes one 'violent and warlike.' All those death/fear hormones in their food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I shouldn't complain that it's only $2.78 here per gallon.

    I love your theme idea, and since I love to be creative in the kitchen this could be fun.

    :)

    ReplyDelete