Friday, August 29, 2008

Shaken. Bruised. And Just the Facts.

This is not the post I was intending to write this evening, but ... I need to write things down to sort them out in my head as best as possible.

At approximately 2:50PM on my walk home from the metro station, I was attacked from behind.

I have walked down Wayne Avenue at least twice a day for 5 years, at all hours of the day and night. I have always felt perfectly safe doing so. Even today didn't seem out of the ordinary.

As I approached the intersection of Dale and Wayne, I passed a young black man in his early 20s. I made eye contact and nodded.

I crossed Dale and heard a noise. I turned and saw someone running up Dale. That's when I noticed someone following me. I turned off my iPod and reached for my phone. And he jumped me, putting me in a chokehold and trying to pull me to the ground.

I began hitting him over my shoulder with my large umbrella (which, sadly, is now in pieces). I hit myself in the head a couple times, too, and have a few lumps.

He pulled me to the ground and I continued to swing my umbrella, even as I felt myself starting to black out. A passing car, slowed almost to a stop, and starting honking. I yelled, "Help." [Which considering I was having a hard time breathing wasn't much of a yell]. The man jumped to his feet and ran.

Dazed, I called 911. As I was on the phone with them, the middle school this was happening across the street from let out. So, I waited for the police with one of the crossing guards.

The police arrived quickly (although it seemed like an eternity). I gave a description. I pointed out the direction he ran. The only thing I can remember him saying is "Don't choke me" or "I'm choking you" or something like that. Which has to be the stupidest thing for an attacker to say ever.

He didn't take my wallet. Or ask for money. Or take my camera. He may have tried to rip off my messenger bag, but I was wearing it across my chest (and I think that may have contributed to the choking).

"Do you think he was on drugs or alcohol," one officer asked.
"I don't know, but he did attack me on a busy street in broad daylight, which doesn't seem quite normal."

I asked for one of the officers to drive me home. They were all very nice. I doubt they will catch the guy.

And, now, I'm home. I've taken some advil. I put ice on my lumps. My throat hurts when I swallow or try to talk. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears. And I have to wonder, since he didn't demand money (that I remember), would he have killed me?

34 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you survived this attack. You must have been really scared. If you are on the verge of tears you should probably let yourself cry and see if you don't feel better.

    I am so sorry you had to go through such a terrible experience and I hope you are truly ok.

    I've been a long time reader/lurker and I just don't know what I'd do if you were injured.

    Big Hugs,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, NO. He would have gone, "WAIT A MINUTE, you're the VUBOQ!" And he would have immediately gone and donated all his worldly goods and donned sackcloth and ashes as penance for his actions.
    And HOLY SHIT I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is unbelievable. I'm so glad you are okay. You should cry as much as you want. Also, get Y (or friends) to stay over with you for a week and look after you. I wish I could come. This is terrible. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awful. Glad you're ok, or at least, in one piece. Sorry that this is what brought me out of lurking.

    I don't even understand this. I say cry all you want. I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Christ. I'm so glad you're okay. And like everyone else said, see if crying helps.

    *BIG HUGS*

    I wouldn't dwell on whether or not he was trying to kill you; for someone that far off their rocker you can't know what they were thinking (or *if* they were thinking). The point is, you came out of it all right. Take care of yourself, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to read this. I was mugged once in DC when I lived there, but it was less violent. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cr&p! I don't know what to say, other than I am glad you are home and were able to write up this entry. Just one of those crazy things that you think will never happen to you - so I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling. Just know that there are a lot of us out here sending out good vibes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm soo glad you're okay (more or less), VUBOQ.

    It was scary and it's okay to be scared, for a while...

    But don't let one crackhead make you be afraid to get out and about. Just don't.

    Smoochies, my bruised one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered where you were this afternoon.That is awful.I am glad you are OK and the guy didn't get away with anything.Hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Fuck V.

    Look at it this way; if he hadn't focused on you, he might have attacked one of those kids leaving school. So it still sucks but you were able to defend yourself, and you may have saved some kid from this crackhead.

    xoxo, A

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness, I'm glad you're more or less OK, and that it wasn't any worse. I hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy fuck! Do you need anything? E-mail me if you do. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're okay. I, too, am a proponent of letting it all out. Take two sappy movies and call me in the morning.

    Love,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad that you're okay. Take care of yourself. Can Y come over and stay with you for a couple of days?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in awe that you had the presence of mind to fight back. Don't dwell on the 'what ifs'. It's bad enough as it is without wondering what might have been.

    Thinking of you as you heal, both physically and emotionally. Don't let him win, k?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jesus. I am so so glad you're ok. You have every right to be freaked out and angry and scared and all of those things. It's all valid.

    I hope you get lots of cuddles this weekend.

    Sassy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank goodness you are safely at home now. I am glad you thought to fight. I hope they catch this guy! Hope you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I'm so glad you're ok or some approximation thereof. Cry all you want and get that hunky man of yours to comfort you. Oh and I'd toss back a martini or four if it were me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! Oh, that's terrible! VUBOQ, I'm so sorry that had to happen to you. I hope writing it down helped you some. I hope the cops catch this scum. I hope. And I wish the same for you. Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you are feeling a little better this morning! I will call you to make sure. :) This awful story has inspired me to take a self-defense class. If you hadn't fought him off as best you could, it could have been worse! Ice cream is good for a wounded throat--see you Monday at the ice cream social!

    ReplyDelete
  21. anne marie in philly7:41 AM

    (((((hugs)))))

    I wish I could say something or do something to make you feel better.

    (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a horrible experience. Thinking of you and wishing you well in both body and spirit.

    Smooches to YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Damn, I'm sorry to hear this happened. Wow, kudos to you for getting to fight back but still, you'd hope things like this won't happen...

    Cry if you need to. Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a horrible thing to have happen! Hope you're feeling better today and that you'll have a speedy and uneventful recovery. I've always loved that statue, too (the man and the horse). It used to be in front of the Federal Trade Commission building, down by the main Archives building if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i'm so very relieved that you're ok, at least relatively at any rate. that's such a shocking thing to happen, an on a busy street as well. how weird! at least he had the sense to stop and leave when the car honked.

    do take care of yourself, drink nice teas, maybe have a martini or two.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy crap. We're so sorry this happened to you, but are so glad that you're alright (relatively speaking). Hope you had a good night, let yourself cry a little, and are taking care of yourself.

    l,
    nc cuzin, wife, and baby

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my god! I just read this. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm glad you're doing okay though. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't read you for five minutes and this happens!! Eeek. Glad you're ok. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy expletive expletive.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You poor thing! Now I'm going to be paranoid with my ipod on. That's the thing about ipods, they rob you of one of your senses.

    I'm so glad it was minor and you lost no money. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Giant (((hugs)))! How scary! Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, my! and Wow! I'm glad that it ended without great harm but so so sorry that it happened at all! That is terrifying. It brings tears to my eyes reading it. Big, big, BIG hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey V.. I saw your comment on my Plurk and hopped over to your blog to see what happened. I can certainly understand why you had a bad weekend. I've been visiting your blog for a while and finally just now had the opportunity to add you to my blogroll... I hope to stop by more often. Do take care of yourself, and know that there are a lot of folks out there who are looking out for you! And if you haven't yet, let those tears flow... it will help, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh VUBOQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bossy can't believe it! She is so sorry for your terrible ordeal -- she can't think of anyone who deserves it less.

    And Bossy is sorry she went a weekend without getting online and checking in with you; this will serve Bossy right!

    ReplyDelete