Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Weekend Update: Thanks for the Memories, NYC!

Good afternoon, kittens!

I am back from an ... eventful trip to New York City. I wish I could post more pictures, but, as you will learn in a bit, there is a Very Good Reason.

On Friday, after work, I hopped on the Amtrak. It was uneventful ... except I lost my hat. Sad. I really liked that hat. Once, I arrived at Penn Station, I transferred to the subway and rode up to 50th Street.

David was attending a show, so I found a little Irish bar, had a beer, and waited for the show to end. Eventually, he found me and we had a late dinner at a Mexican restaurant that was yummy and I have completely forgotten the name. Lime something? Lime Jungle? Something like that anyway.

Then, we went back to David's fabulous apartment in Brooklyn. This is the kitchen:

Even though it is bigger than my entire apartment, I am not jealous.

The next morning, we got up and went to IKEA. David forced me to carry a 7000 pound futon frame for 58 miles through all 42 Burroughs of New York City. Seriously. Exhausted.

That evening, we ventured into Manhattan to meet Eric from Baltimore (who was there on a theater weekend. 3 days! 4 shows!) for dinner. We went to this place called Eatery. It was yummy. Mushroom empanadas. Stir-fried tofu over black rice. Nom!

The next day (Sunday, for those of you unfamiliar with Rebecca Black's song), I helped David do the shopping and prep work for his house-warming. Look! Foodz:

The party was a lot of fun. Good turn out. Josherz was there! And Enrico! And Jake! And lots of other fun people! I think they liked the blackberry-infused vodka I made. Yay!

After the guests had all cleared out and David had tidied up, we went out to this little vegetarian restaurant, Dao Palate, for dinner. Once again, food win! Very yummy!

Monday morning, David got up for work. And, my plan was to take the bus up to Jake's apartment. We would do breakfast, shopping at Uni-Qlo, and then I would take the train home.

Well, that didn't happen.

Instead, as I left David's building around 9:30AM, I pulled out my iPhone to make sure I was going the right direction. I was! Yay!

And, then, three teenage guys jumped me from behind. Beat the shit out of my face. And took my phone.

Luckily, there were several people on the street who immediately called 911 and got a good look at the guys. Apparently, one of the guys was apprehended and positively identified.

I got to take a fun ride in the ambulance to the hospital (with a very cute EMT! (See even when bleeding from weird places, I can spot the cute boyz)).

Here's a picture of me waiting to get a CAT scan (can't wait to see how much that's going to cost me):

What I like about this picture, besides how you can tell there is some nerve damage (see the droopy lip), is that if you look closely you can see shoe tread on my forehead. Sweet! Nothing like being kicked in the face.

The people at the hospital (Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center) were very nice. The social worker let me use her email so I could send messages to David and Jake and be all like "um. I'm at the hospital and don't have a phone. Please call the hospital."

The damage? A burst eardrum (hardly any hearing in my right ear), a HUGE black eye, *and* a hairline fracture in one of my sinuses (which is causing the nerve damage, I think. I can't feel my teeth on my upper right jaw. Fortunately, according to the dental surgery internist, that is supposed to be temporary).

Released from the hospital, the police came and picked me up to make a statement to the Assistant District Attorney. It took forever. Not the statement, just waiting for the ADA. Jake (and, eventually, David) met up with me at the 77th Precinct. We finally left around 9? 830? It's very hard to know what time it is when you don't have a phone...

We rode back to David's place for a quick dinner (I hadn't eaten all day). Then, Jake and I went to his place for the night.

This is what I looked like this morning!

Hot! I'm so glad I look cute in purple.

Jake and I headed out to get my prescription filled (antibiotics to prevent infection in my sinuses ... at least that's what I think it's for). Then, we headed to Penn Station. Because David was able to change my ticket for me, I picked up my new ticket. Bought some lunch. And boarded the train.

Now I am home.
And going to take a nap.

*smooches*

31 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! That is horrible! I'm glad you are ok, VUBOQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY FUCKING GOD. That is so horrible! Please get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! That's so awful -- but you do look swell in purple! Glad you're okay ... hopefully they'll throw the book at those assholes (and break all three of their faces with it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap, to repeat Adam. You poor thing. That looks awful and painful and ... I'm just speechless. Hugs to you and I hope you're not in too much pain and all the healing goes well. Ugh. What an awful way to end a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dude. That totally sucks. Beyond sucks, actually. I hope they catch ALL the rat-bastards and they have outstanding warrants and are thrown in jail for a million years. (Because a shoe print on your face? Seriously? Oy.) Take care of yourself and make sure you get a follow-up on the sinus thing (trust me - my sinuses have never been the same since I broke my nose years ago). *hugs to you*

    -Dr. Liz (Fi and Abby are sitting here offering to bite the aforementioned rat bastards, even though they are the most non-bitey dogs ever... unless it involves each other, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I am glad you are okay... I hope they do get those guys good... get some rest and meds...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!I am so sorry this happened to you.Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't even know what to say. I'm so, so sorry. I can't believe this happened to you and hope that the effects of the attack aren't permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god. I am so so so sad that this happened to you. I am thinking of you. You are in my prayers, vuboq -- for speedy healing and lots of love from the many people who care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy shit! that looks so incredibly painful! i'm glad you're alive and all. that just sucks the big wooly one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:23 PM

    I had teenagers rob me and stomp on my face a few years ago. It's awful. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy shit. that is not right. I love how you're all "and then we had fun and then we ate and then I got the shit kicked out of me but there was a cute guy." Always the silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That terrible! What evil jackasses. I'm so sorry that happened. May you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy shit, sorry to hear this happened! Hope they get those guys. Just wowww...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you recover quickly and that one or more of these little shits ends up in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Owie ow ow! I was worried something like this might have happened when you mentioned it was a "long story". I'm glad it wasn't worse, but sweet merciful fuck! When I win the lottery and we move to Iceland, you definitely need to come be our houseboy and get away from big cities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG that's awful! I'm so sorry that happened! I hope those little bastards rot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:46 AM

    I cannot freaking believe this happened to you!!! This is twice I know of that you've been beaten up. There may be state or city victim's compensation programs to cover your bills etc. I know you're not thinking about this right now but it may matter to you in the future. You can look it up yourself on the net or do what I'd do, call my lawyer. On top of your pain and suffering it'll cost you a couple bucks but it could help you know and protect your rights and it might yield benefits in the future. But first, take care, get well. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I wish there was something I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. rn terri10:12 AM

    OMG. You poor thing! Hope you have a speedy recovery. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my god. oh my god. I have no words. I am so so so sorry this happened to you. I had no idea.

    I hope you are feeling well, and safe, and if you aren't I hope there is someone who can help you.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is horrible! I am really sorry to hear this. Although at least it explains why you are ignoring my texts...

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is it wrong that I feel so completely embarrased that this happened to you on my watch, so to speak, and in my neighborhood? When I got your first email I was physically sick to my stomach. I am glad you are safe back at home and just devastated that our fab weekend was marred by this. You know where to reach me if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry! All your Texas girls are wishing for a speedy recovery :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yikes! That sounds very scary and painful. Please take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OhmyGOD, VUBOQ, sweetie! I am so sorry! I hope you have a speedy and painfree recovery! And I know I'm not that close by, but I'm close enough, so if you need anything, let me knwo!

    BIG comforting healing HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am super pissed off about this. VUBOQs should be safe to wander free anywhere they want to wander. You need a body guard. A mean one. And guess what? I DON'T HAVE A JOB. I will now follow you everywhere. With a stick! A pointy one!

    Big love, dear. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is horrible! Those pictures of you make me want to cry. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm glad they got one of the creeps - hope they get the rest. I'm sending you hugs and warm thoughts for a quick recovery.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That sucks! I'm glad you have so many good friends to hug and take care of you as you convalesce.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When you were twittering about not having a phone, I had no idea that something so ghastly had occurred. I'm so sorry and I hope you mend quickly, sweetheart. Le smooch.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous8:43 PM

    I seriously hope you got a monstrous prescription for Vicodin. I cried when reading this, and I've only met you once. I'd kick those guys ass if I could. Damn. Hang in there -
    -Ellen; thehistoryofellen.com

    xoxoxoxoxoxooxooxoooxoxoxoxooo

    ReplyDelete
  31. My poor guy! I am sooo sorry to have missed this. *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete