Monday, April 03, 2006

Montgomery County: Employer of the Disabled

Because I will be using John's car this month, I decided to buy a monthly parking permit rather than pay on a daily basis. There are two parking garages within walking distance from my office. One, owned by Montgomery County, costs $85/ month. The other, owned by a private company, is closer and $95/month. I decided to swallow the extra $10 and pay to park right across the street.

Early this morning, I went to the little office in the parking garage across the street. There was a long line. I asked the people in the line, "Can you buy a pass for this garage here? Or is it only for the Montgomery County lot?" No one knew.

There was an employee sitting at a window. She was not helping anyone, but was busy with her little adding machine. I was standing at the end of the line right by her window. So, I turned and said to her, "Excuse me. I have a question."

Nothing. She didn't look up. She didn't stop her little clickety-clackety adding maching typing.

"Excuse me," I said a little louder. "Can you answer my question?"

She still didn't look up. *clackety clackety click* went her little adding machine.

"Is it possible I am being ignored," I thought. "No. That couldn't be. My Montgomery County tax dollars couldn't be going to waste on someone ignoring me." Then, it hit me. So, I said, rather loudly,

"It's so nice Montgomery County is hiring deaf-mutes."

The people in line giggled. The clickety clackety adding machine woman stood up and walked away.

Fortunately, the next woman in line asked one of the other workers who told her I was in the wrong office.

Seriously, how hard was that? How much time would it have taken for the first employee to answer my question? How important was it that she get her numbers added up right then?

*gah* rude people first thing in the morning are no fun.

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. However, I have been in the other position; namely I have walked up to the customer service area at work -- usually to get some paperwork or check status of something on a computer -- and been sucked in by some loonie who has walked in and starts out saying they have a question (the custoer service people are otherwise busy, on the phone or with other clients), and it turns into some long, drawn-out inquiry where they want a detailed price qoute about some niggling little stupid job. I usually help them rather than try to ignore them or say something that sounds rude like "I'm sorry, I'm not in customer service, one of these people can help you in a minute," but it's not my job, I'm not good at it or usually able to fully answer their question. It's possible that woman was in a similar situation, though she could have been less rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no excuse for completely ignoring someone, no matter what department you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe they do things for customer service related thingies. I mean I got the most unpleasant customer service two weeks ago at the friendly Portland airport. I am glad I din't have a gun. :-)

    These people should be burnt in hell #insert evil laugh here#

    I am glad you didn't have a gun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always expect the worst in those kind of situations. so i'm always pleasantly surprised when someone turns out to be helpful and nice! but oh so rare.... my morning annoyance is usually people who don't know how to use a sidewalk. either they weave side to side, walk on the "wrong" side or if it's a group, they're usually moving slower than the flow, occupying the entire sidewalk and are oblivious to others who are trying to get around them. they should be smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you said that out loud! Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomoko4:44 PM

    I'm always amazed how patient Americans are in this kind of situation...I usually find that I'm the only crazy Japanese bitch who get mad....

    ReplyDelete