Thursday, April 06, 2006

VUBOQ Becomes Like Yogurt

... Cultured.

Steve invited Robert and myself to attend an opera at the Kennedy Center tonight. We're going to see L'Elisir d'Amore (pronounced Lel-ee-ZEER dah-MOH-ray or Laser Eye Surgery for Rebecca de Mornay). The Baltimore Opera has published a handy little summary here.

It would seem it's about a guy who loves a girl but is too shy to tell her. Hilarious hijinx ensue. Hm. A funny opera? I thought it wasn't opera unless someone died. Oh, well ...

Anyway, I've never been to an opera before ... I can't wait until Richard Gere arrives, gives me a really expensive diamond necklace, and flies me to the Kennedy Center on his private jet. Then, after being moved to tears by the beautiful music, he'll fly me home, and we'll make mad, passionate love in his penthouse ... or in John's house ... whereever. He can make the call.

Old Lady at Opera: Did you like the opera, dear?
Vivian:
It was so good, I almost peed my pants!

Edward Lewis:
She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.

The photo above? I received a small package in the mail yesterday from my friend and former Japanese language exchange partner, Mari. She sent a CD of photos. This one is from her last visit to DC, which was in the Fall of 2005. I think I was in the process of buying my apartment, but hadn't closed yet ... which would possibly mean October-ish.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm richard gere is hot. do you have the gerbils ready?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laser Eye Surgery for Rebecca de Mornay is my favorite opera.

    But seriously. You'd never been to the opera before? Scary. To enjoy opera, one must take a brief historical survey, to better understand opera's heyday, and go with someone who loves opera very, very much. Otherwise it's more or less incomprhensible and stupid.

    I can say these things because I'm a trained opera singer.

    ReplyDelete