Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sometimes Karma is a Bitch

The summer before I started junior high school my family moved to a new town. One of the first friends I made was Will. His family lived on a farm in a refurbished tobacco barn. We hung out quite a bit early in the summer. Then, I started to notice none of the other people I met our age liked Will. I couldn't figure out why. He was smart and funny and lived in a freakin' refurbished tobacco barn. I mean, really, how cool is that?

I noticed that since he was my friend, no one else wanted to be my friend. I have a vague recollection of someone saying to me that no one would ever hang out with me as long as I was friends with Will.

I was 12. And new in town. I made a decision I still regret. I stopped speaking to Will. I stopped hanging out with him. I wouldn't return his calls. Our parents tried to figure out what happened, but I was too ashamed to explain my real reasons. How do you say "I cut him off because he's not popular and I want to have more friends" without sounding like a total prat?

Maybe if I hadn't been at that awkward pre-adolescent, concerned what other people think, desperate for acceptance stage or if my life had been an ABC After School Special, things would have turned out differently.

But I was at that stage and my life wasn't an After School Special. I bowed to peer pressure and ended a friendship. I hurt someone for purely selfish reasons.

Our junior year in high school, we began to be civil to one another, but the friendship was never rebuilt.

Sometimes karma is a bitch.

5 comments:

  1. You could always use the power of Google to locate Will and repair the karmic void.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. You suck.

    I mean, that choice sucked. You're so brave for revealing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone talks about the innocence of childhood, but kids are beasts. At least you can take slim comfort in knowing you were hardly the *only* beast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Bossy is grateful that her city public schools were so diverse that there was no definable "different". Even if they were graffiti-covered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar experience in school, and I also feel bad about it now.

    damn peer pressure!!

    I would try and get in contact with him somehow (like Anthony suggested).

    :)

    ReplyDelete