Sunday, August 19, 2007

Meat-free Sunday

I'm at Y's this evening, and, since I probably won't be cooking tomorrow [I have leftovers to eat], I decided to celebrate Meat-free Monday a day early.

Today's meal (scroll down for photo) will be veggie burgers and Watermelon Cucumber Gazpacho:

WATERMELON AND CUCUMBER GAZPACHO

1 3-pound seedless watermelon, diced (about 5 cups), divided
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
1 medium-size red bell pepper, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
1 small jalapeño chile, seeded, minced
3 pale green inner celery stalks, diced (about 1/2 cup) [Celery. Ew.]
1/2 small red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint [Whole Foods didn't have mint (what up with that?), so I substituted a 1/4 cup of strongly brewed peppermint tea]
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar [Y didn't have red wine vinegar, so I used regular white vinegar]
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream

Puree 4 cups watermelon in blender until smooth. Transfer puree to large bowl. Add remaining 1 cup diced watermelon and next 10 ingredients; stir to combine. Cover gazpacho and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Divide gazpacho among bowls; top with dollop of crème fraîche.

The gazpacho is chilling now. We will probably eat around 8.

Watermelon gaz


Don't forget tomorrow is Meat-free Monday. Do your part for the environment by enjoying a delicious meat-free meal!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so summery and yummy!
    I've been really trying to embrace meat-free monday, especially since my boyfriend randomly decided one day to become a vegetarian. I've been red meat-free for almost two years now though, so yay for that much! Hope dinner's yummy ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sour cream? That makes me sad inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. citizen-erazed7:02 AM

    *Hear hear* gayprof

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't someone think of the watermelon?

    Not my thing ... that.

    I hope you and Y has a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete