Friday, August 03, 2007

Spreading the Food Love

The SuperFantastic Cuzin sent me a recipe, which I think I am going to attempt to make this weekend. It's for some strange Aussie concoction called slice. When my cuzin first mentioned it, I wondered if it contained the soft drink.

It doesn't.

Claudia's Mum's Zucchini Slice [Cuzinly comments in italics]

12oz or 3 medium zucchini, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup tasty cheese (firm), shredded (this is the exact wording of the recipe C gave me – she says she uses sharp cheddar)
4 rashers bacon or ham, finely chopped (obviously you would leave this out)
1 C self-raising flour (1C flour, 1 ½ t baking powder, ½ t salt)
½ cup milk
5 eggs, beaten

Mix together and pour into buttered slice tin (large casserole dish). And cook in moderate oven for ~40 min.

Mine takes longer to cook – usually at least one hour at about 350. I cook it until it’s set in the middle and a bit browned on top.

Easy! Peasy! Right?
If you try it, let me know how yours is.
I'll have to convince Y to let me use his oven.

6 comments:

  1. vuboq's cousin1:43 PM

    To any who might try this recipe....FYI:

    1)This is sort of like a vegetable-y souffle. And it makes a lot. Just so you know.

    2)I am now recommending 375 F, instead of 350 as the cooking temp.

    3)I use my food processor to grate the cheese, zucchini and onion, because it is fast and I am lazy.

    4)If you use bacon it's yummier (and less chewy) if you cook the bacon first and crumble it in. I didn't tell the cousin this because he doesn't eat the pig, being a veggie and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll make this tomorrow WITH the crispy bacon. If I do, I'll take a picture. It sounds like a kind of frittata or crustless quiche ... yummy. Thank you Vuboq's SuperFantastic cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds easy and delicious. One question:

    -1 C self-raising flour (1C flour, 1 ½ t baking powder, ½ t salt)

    Does this mean either 1C self-raising flour OR flour+baking powder+salt?

    When I make it I will also post a picture. Thanks VUBOQ&Cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bala wala shi: I think it's either OR, not BOTH. The paranthetical is if you don't have self-rising flour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound yummy. My mother tells an amusing story about self-rising flour, but I think it's only amusing to me and her and maybe a few other relatives, so I won't share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. vuboq's cousin: I wonder if maybe olives or capers or some other salty veggie substitute would work in place of bacon for us vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete