Thursday, April 17, 2008

In the Big Leagues

On my walk to work this morning, I passed a discarded can of Skoal. And I found myself thinking, "OMG. Do people still dip?"

Suddenly I was on a whirlwind trip down memory lane ... [insert Wayne's World doo-doo-doot doo-doo-doots here] ...

I was 6 and somehow found myself playing on a Little League baseball team, the Reds*. My brother was on the same team. We were the worst team in the league, and I, I with my awesome athletic ability, played Right Field**.

One day during practice, one of the cooler kids on the most losingest baseball team ever [so that probably gives you an idea about how cool he was] brought a bag of chewing tobacco. My brother and I didn't try it there, but brought it home to ask permission.***

Dad, in his wisdom, said, "Go right ahead," and sat back to enjoy the show.

My brother and I both took big wads of shredded brown tobacco leaves and shoved them in our mouths.

BLEEAAAARRRRGGGGH! *spit*
*cough*
*gag*
*sputter*
*cough*

Needless to say, from then on, I stuck with Big League Chew and didn't try any type of tobacco product again until college.

Come to think of it, my Dad pulled the same trick on us with some unopened beer we found on the side of the road one time. And there was a similar result: I didn't try alchohol again until my Senior year in high school.


~~~

In other news, last night, I did laundry. Then, Y came over and we watched a movie, Immortality (which apparently is also called The Wisdom of Crocodiles?). It was awful. BUT, it had a young Jude Law in it. AND, he is SO cute I watched the entire film. It was fun to pick out the mistakes ... like, do they use Social Security Numbers in the UK? Anyway, cute Jude Law (with hair!). 'nuff said.

More later. *smooches*

*I don't think it had anything to do with Communism. I could be wrong.
**In Little League parlance, it would also be called "The Position Where Kids Who Have No Athletic Ability Whatsoever are Sent Because No One EVER Hits the Ball to Right Field."
***We were such good boys.

8 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog, but can say that I enjoyed your views and your writing.

    Yes, Skoal is still being
    "rubbed" or how ever else it is placed between the lip and gums.
    I live in the PNW and one would think with all the knowledge we have on cancer of the jaw, lip and other buccal areas, from the usage of this product, one would see less young guys with a "tin" of it in their back pockets.

    I remember my grandfather chewed tobacco along with some of my uncles. ( they lived in the South )( I saw this much more in the South than in the North ) I think you see this in the West a lot as well. Anyway, you brought back some memories I had forgotten.

    Jude Law does have that magnetism. ;-) Sorry, the movie wasn't that good.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I played right field, too!! For two years. When I wasn't keeping the bench warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were such good boys.
    Your dad is pretty smart, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I played right field in P.E. Deep, deep, deep right field. So deep that, by the time I came in to bat, our team had already struck out and I had to go back.

    Your dad was a pretty wise man. Sick, but wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have National Insurance numbers

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another right fielder here! In P.E. only, though. I never did little league, even though my brother and cousins all did. (I preferred the swings and merry-go-round and my books.) Funny thing is in the neighborhood games, I either played first or third base. I just couldn't seem to make myself care about organized sports.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL--great laugh to keep me going at work today! Thank you : )

    My hubby used to chew tobacco. Blech. I told him as much as I love him, if he ends up losing his jaw to cancer I will not take care of his sorry ass and will probably leave him. I am *such* a good wife ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big league chew! That and garbage pail kids where a staple in my childhood trips to the seven eleven after school.

    ReplyDelete