Thursday, April 03, 2008

Do They Serve Brie at a Bris?

On Sunday, I will be attending a bris. Oh, the advantages of having a Jewish boyfriend ... twice the holidays plus circumcision ceremonies!

Never having attended a bris before, I've been having fun imagining things I would *love* to hear people say ... like ...

from the Rabbi:
"My hands usually stop shaking once the ceremony starts"
or
"I think I'm sober enough."
or
"Oops."

Guests to the proud parents:
"He probably won't despise you because you've ruined his sex life forever. He'll despise you for other reasons."
or
"Circumcision made me gay ... Not that there's anything wrong with that."
or
"Oops."

On a more serious note, does one take a bris gift? Y is good friends with the couple and has already given them a baby gift. I have met them two or three times at various social functions ... if that matters.

Maybe a baby t-shirt that reads CUT?
Or, my all-time favorite Cuter than Baby Jesus t-shirt:

[Model: My SuperCute 1st Cuzin Once Removed]


Last night, I did 3 loads of laundry (*ugh*). I still have at least one more load to do, but that will have to wait until next week. Then, I made a yummy couscous salad. Y came over. I went to bed. What a fun evening.

Also, today, someone else is interviewing for MY new job. I would normally be thinking very bad things about this person; however, my fortune cookie the other day said I will "achieve success through kindness." Thus, I will be thinking good thoughts [or not thinking at all, which is normally the case]. The bad ones are up to you.

More later. *smooches*

9 comments:

  1. A Bris is actualy an amazing party! My cousin's son's was back in September. I hadn't gotten them anything yet, so brought the baby gift with me. Gifts of food never go amis at anything, just keep it kosher (best to be dairy free...).
    I still say the Jewish half of my family have the best parties and celebrations. They really do enjoy life!

    BTW, that other doofus will fail miserably at the interview and your job will be all yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it is up to Y to bring the gift for both of you.

    Frankly, I try to avoid parties that revolve around children as much as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would a minature bottle of vodka to add to his formula be amiss? Or bring cookies. Everyone loves cookies.

    I won't light a candle for the person who is interviewing for YOUR job. May he/she not be as fabulous as Vuboq and may the interviewers have the intelligence and grace to see that. Or else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Gayprof (on both points).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just be careful what you pop in your mouth.

    I've only attended one bris. The mohel was a retired pediatrician and the friends weren't particularly religious (The wife, actually, was Quaker). It was a nice party, though, and the food was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Foreskin is very stretchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:39 AM

    What does 1st cousin once removed mean anyways??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving that picture of your supercute 1st cuzin once removed. He/she (hard to tell from the pic) looks rather unhappy about being the object of so much attention.

    ReplyDelete