Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Meat-Free Monday: Bowl Full of Fail Edition

Good morning, kittens. I hope the rain has stopped in your world and the sun is peeking through the clouds just. like. here.

Last night, I gathered together my ingredients for what I hoped would be yet another brilliant experimental cooking success.

It wasn't.

Step One was to make pesto. Here are the ingredients:


Don't they look pretty? I had grated fulvi romano with peppercorns, garlic, dried chili peppers, organic arugula, and olive oil (some of which had been used to store my already-been-done-eaten feta-stuffed olives).

All of which was shoved into a blender and had the Hell pureed out of it. WHIRRRR!

Then, I poured it into a bowl. See? Pretty:


Of course, this is where things started to go horribly wrong. I tasted the pesto and decided it needed salt. I picked up the salt and started to sprinkle a little in.

*WHOOPS*

My hand slipped and, like, 8 TONS of salt poured into the pesto. I scooped out what I could. But, when I re-tasted it, all I could taste was salt. My pesto had become salto. *ugh*

I immediately sent out a Cooking 911*. I also texted SCGB, who didn't have much advice to offer. I tried putting in a teaspoon (or less) of vinegar to see if that would help.

It didn't.

So I poured all the salto into little containers. Put them in the fridge. And, hope that I'll be able to figure out a way to de-salt them or use them in a way in which the salt isn't so over-powering. Pesto soup? More Pesto? Are the possibilities endless?

Anyway, instead of eating pesto, I nuked my sweet potato and ate that. Then, I had cheese and crackers. And some salad.

The end.

I hope your Meat-Free Monday (if you had a Meat-Free Monday) was more successful.

As for my plans today, I am going to the pottery studio after work. If all goes according to plan, my final creations should be out of the kiln. I can glaze them tonight, and they should be done by this weekend. Yay!

*to which NO ONE responded. Thanks A LOT twitter buddies.

5 comments:

  1. Alas, I am twitterless, plus I was busy saving fluffy critters (actually, I was euthanizing more than I was saving, but we'll just pretend otherwise). However, I probably would have told you to try to scoop out the affected area as much as possible, then make up more to dilute out the salt. It's really the only way to get around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does salt-free Monday count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I didn't see your tweet!
    I'm thinking you should add pureed spinach in a bit of olive oil to make it less salty without altering the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your tweet but had no advice better than "triple all the other ingredients." It's not like you can put a potato in over-salty pesto or anything.

    *smooch*

    ReplyDelete