Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Meat-Free ... er ... Tuesday: A Bowl of Soup

Yesterday, at work, I started craving soup. As I sat in the comfort of my cubicle, I tried to remember what I had in my cupboard (which is a really weird word). All I could remember was a can of beans and a can of diced tomatoes with chilies. After much thought, a brief conversation with a friend of mine in New York (who is an American Culinary Institute graduate), and a trip to the Whole Foods, here's what I came up with:

VUBOQ's Bowl of Soup

Ingredients:

1 can of black beans
2 cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes with chilies
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 zucchini
1 cup corn
2 cups okra
1 cup (ish) orzo
3 cups water
1 vegetable bullion cube
bread
sharp cheddar
olive oil

Instructions:

In a large pot, add a splash of olive oil. Saute the minced garlic until aromatic. Then, add the diced onion. Cook until softish.

Add 2-3 cups water and the bullion cube. Bring to a boil.

Add the diced zucchini.

Add the cans of tomatoes and beans (juice and all). Return to boil (well, more like a simmer).

Add the corn and okra (I used frozen). Return to boil.

Add the one cup(ish) of orzo.

Oops:

Oops

Simmer until orzo is cooked (about 7-8 minutes).

Surprisingly, I didn't need to add any additional spices. I thought I might need salt, pepper, and, maybe, chili powder, but the chilies in the tomatoes and the salt in the bullion cube seemed to be enough.

While the soup is in it's final cooking stages, toast a slice of bread (I used Whole Foods Organic Rustic bread - YUM), place in a bowl, and top with a few thin slices of sharp cheddar, ala Pesky Mac's SuperDelicious Winter Vegetable Chowder.

Like this:

Bread und Cheese

Then, ladle the soup on top. Like this:

Finished Product
[Cook's Little Helper: Gin, Grapefruit Juice, Seltzer with a Twist]

Eat,
Drink,
Smile.

More later. *smooches*

10 comments:

  1. Bossy loves you to small bits and pieces, until you resemble the orzo in your soup.

    Hey, Bossy made soup yesterday for lunch. But since she was in a hurry this was her recipe: 1 can of white beans, 1 can of whole tomatoes, grated lemon rind, and a couple of cups of sauteed garlic and celery. It was quick-fix, but hit the spot. Would have been better with onion. And zucchini. And Oprah. Er - Bossy means "Okra".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... what's orzo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. java: Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta. Sometimes referred to as riso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping for a closer look at that soup, but I'm being told these photos are private. I understand. You want to keep this goodness all to yourself. But, hmm, you gave us the recipe. So, okay, maybe I don't understand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I understanding this correctly that you ladle the soup over the top of the bread and cheese? Or do I just need more coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  6. earl cootie: Sorry. I took the photos last night and made them private (so no one would get a sneak peek). I've changed their status to public now.

    cooper: You understand correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. orzo=love.

    And that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your soup turned out way better than mine did last night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got curried roast veggies and saffron rice from the cute Indian chef in town. Since I've got The Crud *and* my sweetie's out of the country this week, it seemed my best option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually had the privilege of eating this soup and I can tell everyone that without a doubt it was the most delicious meal in town last night!

    ReplyDelete