Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Ture Story

As some of you may know, about 8 (ack!) years ago, I spent 3 months teaching English at a small private junior college on the outskirts of Beijing. As part of the teaching program, I required each student to keep a journal. They had to write in it at least once a week. I would collect the journals on Friday, read them over the weekend, and return them on Monday morning with corrections. I was always amazed at how well these students (even the ones with limited English) could express themselves. However, every. single. one. consistently made the same two spelling errors.

At first, I tried correcting the errors in their entries and hoping they would catch on.

They didn't. A more drastic approach was called for.

One Monday morning, after handing back their journals. I wrote the following on the blackboard in huge letters:

TURE

"What is that word," I asked.
"TRUE," my students replied in unison.
"No. You are wrong. It is TURE. TURE is not a word. Please spell TRUE like this."

And I erased TURE and wrote TRUE on the board.

"Whenever I see TRUE spelled TURE in your papers I'm going to scream and yell and beat you over the head with a bowl full of noodles."

The students all laughed.

Then, I wrote another word on the board in huge letters:

FRIST

"What is this word," I asked.
"FIRST," my students replied in unison.
"No! You are wrong. It is FRIST. FRIST is not a word. Please spell FIRST like this."

And I erased FRIST and wrote FIRST on the board.

"Whenever I see FIRST spelled FRIST in your papers I'm going to scream and yell and beat you over the head with a bowl full of noodles."

My students all laughed, and I continued with the day's lesson.

The next week only one student was beaten over the head with a bowl full of noodles.

The End.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mate, I've been reading your little corner of the interweb for some time now and turely that's the frist time I've heard that lovely sorty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose Bill Frist might take issue with the second assertion, but really, he's a Republican dickhead fucktard (Is that a double redundancy?) who thinks you can get HIV from mosquitoes. So I think we shouldn't care at all what he thinks. Thank FSM he's not actually practicing medicine anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you should really do us all a favor and take your bowl full of noodles to Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a charity for students beaten over the head with a bowl full of noodles? If so I vote for your surprise money to be donated that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loev this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that all it takes? Me frist, me frist!

    ReplyDelete