Friday, November 09, 2007

Chinese Spicy Noodle Soup: The Soup. The Legend.

OK, BOSSY. This is for you!!! *smooches*

Step 1: Gather the ingredients.

Ingredients
Pictured (Clockwise from top right): Konbu (Japanese seaweed), Cellophane Noodles, Bok Choy, Mushrooms, Rice, Nasty Old Onion, Mystery Chinese Sauce, Firm Tofu [You could also use Extra Firm, but it tends to be more expensive], and a Granny Smith Apple (What's that doing there?).

Step 2: In a large pot, boil 6-8 cups water with the konbu and the sliced onion (peel and all) and throw in a veggie bullion cube if you want. I read in my new (to me) cookbook, How to Cook Everything, that when making a broth it's ok to use the veggie skins. I thought I'd try it out with the nasty old onion that was in my fridge.

Making the Broth
Mmm. Broth making. And, yes, that is an Elvis Presley Blvd. sign. I use it to keep the cat from jumping up and turning on the stove (yes, she's done that before. PyroKitty!).

Step 3: While the broth is boiling, prep the veggies. Wash and slice the Bok Choy. I only used a little over half of what I bought. Drain and slice the tofu. Start cooking the rice (if you want rice as a side dish. I think it's helpful if you make the soup too spicy).

Tofu
Oh. And pour a glass of Cook's Little Helper.

Step 4: Try not to eat all the tofu. Mmm. Tofu.

Can't Stop Eating Tofu
[Note the cute chili peppers drying.]

Step 5: After the broth looks/tastes/smells done (I think I boiled everything for about 15-20 minutes), scoop out the konbu and onion and discard (into your compost bucket, natch). Lower the heat to simmer and start adding veggies to the soup with the stuff that takes the longest to cook first. In this case: mushrooms, bok choy, tofu. At any point during this process, you can add a tablespoon or two (or three) of Spicy Chinese Sauce.

Lid and Kitty
No. Your eyes aren't that bad. I just can't hold the camera still. The label came off of my sauce. I think it's called Chili and Garlic Sauce, but I'm not sure. Find something with a similar lid, I guess.

Step 6: Once the mushrooms, bok choy, tofu are *almost* cooked, add a package of cellophane noodles. I never follow the instructions on the package (which are something like "soak in hot water for 10 minutes. Cut into pieces. Cook for 3 more minutes. Too much work). Dump the noodles in and let them cook with the soup for 5-7 minutes (?) or until they look done.

Step 7: Serve. Eat. Enjoy.

The Final Product

If you don't eat it all, it will keep in the fridge for a few days ... but the noodles will absorb most (if not all) of the broth. So it'll be more like a spicy noodle dish than a soup. But, whatever. It's still good.

Have fun! More later, kittens.

6 comments:

  1. How did Bossy get so lucky to have a Spicy Chinese Soup mentor like her VUBOQ? This is very exciting and Bossy is going right out to purchase the ingredients!

    (Just as soon as she sells her house and moves closer to a market that sells these things.)

    (Just kidding - everyone and their grandmother is now carrying obscure foreign food products.)

    (Help - Bossy can't stop talking parenthetically!)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oh, and Bossy failed to mention that the post totally cracked her up. The cook's little helper indeed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of the chili-garlic sauce before last weekend, but Michael got some to make some *delicious* green beans to go with the jasmine rice he made last week. MMmmmm.

    And you have now officially used that cookbook more than I ever did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe may well convince me to cook Chinese food again! I never do unless it's for New Year's!

    (I fail at being Asian. It's ok, I've come to accept it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe looks good. The ingredients are all delicious. The visual aids are informative and entertaining. But that final picture of the finished product? It looks as though it has glass eels swimming in it. I hope those noodles taste better than they look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great. *drools*

    ReplyDelete