Thursday, November 15, 2007

Beaujolais Nouveau!

For those of you who don't know, the 2007 vintage of Beaujolais Nouveau goes on sale today (or, more accurately, went on sale -in some places- at midnight). From the wikipedia entry:
Beaujolais nouveau is a red wine made from Gamay grapes produced in the Beaujolais region of France. It is the most popular vin de primeur, fermented for just a few weeks then officially released for sale on the third Thursday of November. This "Beaujolais Day", or "Beaujolais Nouveau Day" sees heavy marketing from the producers, with races to get the first bottles of the vintage to different markets.

For the past 6 or so years, I've had a small gathering of friends over to drink beaujolais, eat cheese, and make happy talk. I think there's something comforting about people all over the world drinking the same wine on the same day. This year will be no different (yay!). Several of my neighbors will be coming over tonight. Hopefully, a fun time will be had by all.

Here's a poem I wrote this morning:

Heavy raindrops
Rattle against my window
And, in the brief moment
Between dream and wake,
Become fingers
Clattering on a keyboard
Until I startle awake
He is with me.

Of course, it reads (a little) better if you pretend you are Garrison Keillor on NPR.

Have I mentioned that Garrison Keillor drives me a little nuts in the morning with his poetry reading?

As the image of my poem turned around and around in my head, I started thinking about I, Too, Sing America, by Langston Hughes. I began to wonder who is our Langston Hughes? Who is the gay poet who reminds America we are here?

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.

8 comments:

  1. I love listening to Garrison Keillor in the morning. I find the cadence of his voice soothing.

    Missed him this morning because I was spaying a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrison Keillor sure can read a poem well, can't he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried four different beaujolais today and this year is relatively extremely fruity for me (I like aged oaky heavy stuff) but I think this is very smooth for non-wine drinkers as well so it will be good.

    The best matched cheese with this year's beaujolais is
    "Fourme d'Ambert AOC" after trying 5 different ones. I totally guarantee! get one if you have some more budget on your way back! A suggestion from a recently certified cheese expert :-) Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you! Thanks so much for the birthday gift!! I was blown away :) I'll have to owe you lunch next time you're in AA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like wine. I like Langston Hughes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Langston Hughes was gay, was he not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ms. clio: so it would seem. i had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bossy! Bossy is the gay poet reminding America you are here, minus the 'gay' part. She can still be your poet though, right?

    I, too, sing America.
    I am the darker brother,
    tanning on the beaches of Miami.
    They send me to eat in the kitchen
    When company comes,
    But I laugh,
    And eat well,
    And grow strong,
    Because I'm serving Spicy Noodle Soup
    And the kitchen is cute. And has cable.
    Tomorrow,
    I'll be at the table
    When company comes.
    And it will be a beautiful table,
    With Pier One crockery designed by Thom Filicia,
    Nobody'll dare
    Say to me,
    "Eat in the kitchen,"
    Then.
    Unless that kitchen has black granite counters and Italian tiles.
    Besides,
    They'll see how beautiful I am
    And next thing you know they want Fashion Advice.
    And be ashamed--
    I, too, am America.

    ReplyDelete