Thursday, January 04, 2007

Atlanta Memories

Gayprof's trip to a conference in Atlanta reminded me of a story from my childhood ...

On the escalator into one of Atlanta's subway (MARTA) stations has this very cool optical illusion. About halfway down the escalator, the brickwork changes from a horizontal pattern to a vertical one, which makes it seem like the escalator has suddenly gotten a heckuvalot steeper.

When I was about 7 or 8, my brother and I went to visit my cousins in Marietta, GA. One day, the family took us into Atlanta specifically to experience that one escalator ride. At the time, I thought it was so cool.

Now, looking back, I'm imagining the following conversation:

Aunt: How are we going to entertain your brother's children?
Uncle: Well, they live in the mountains ... I think they've already seen indoor plumbing.
Aunt: Hmmm...
Uncle: I know! We'll take them into Atlanta and let them ride the escalators!
Aunt (in strong southern accent): "Uncle Ray! Uncle Ray! These stairs! They moooooooooooove!"
[Uncle and Aunt collapse into laughter!]

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I went to London and used the underground. It was a school trip and several of my classmates refused to get on the escalators because they'd never seen them before. lol!gsfk

    ReplyDelete