Thursday, January 11, 2007

Searching for a Sense of Place

Seeds can lie dormant for years before they germinate, sending forth their initial roots and sprouting leaves. Sometimes, I feel like I’m hiding beneath a thick seed coating, waiting for the right time and the right place to send out my roots, to attach, to grow.

I’ve been yanked from too many places I’ve loved to ever feel completely settled and comfortable, like I truly belong. Specific places hold no meaning. I have no deep connections. Friendships come and go. Bloom and fade. Flourish and die. Mourn and move on in my endless search to find *my* place, the place where the conditions are right, where I will flourish.

Rich, warm earth. Lots of sun. Plenty of water.

Perhaps, it’s an issue of complacency. Stop searching. This is where the wind dropped me. Relax. Enjoy the sun, sprout, grow, live.

Or maybe I should let the wind carry me elsewhere …

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully written post. The one "place" you will always carry with you ...one that you can never shed ... is within yourself. I discern beauty there.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep encountering weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be entirely pedantic, but: wherever you go, there you are.

    Nicely written post, though. *smooch*

    ReplyDelete
  4. you do kind of resemble an avocado pit, i keep meaning to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say the EXACT same thing as Goblinbox. Except admitting that it was pedantic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Madeleine L'Engle. Third book in the "Wrinkle in Time" set, I think. Was it "A Swiftly Tilting Planet"? It has something to say along that theme. You might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete