Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Brief History of Time

Two years ago, I met this guy on gay.com. We've never met in person. We arranged to meet once, but, on the way there, he cancelled ... by text message. I tried calling him a couple of times. We talked once, I think. I asked why he never called me back. "I don't call people," he said. In the end, I gave up trying to see him.

We still kept in sporadic contact. He started going to AA. He changed jobs several times. He moved back to New York. He started drinking again. Recently, we've been chatting more often ... almost daily. At one point, he asked why we never went out. I explained, and he apologized for being an ass. Now, he's invited me up to visit.

I'm seriously considering it.
I'm also seriously considering the fact that I may be crazy.

9 comments:

  1. yes you might be crazy. my opinion is once (or more) flaky, always flaky. this guy also seems a bit too self-absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cukkoo cukkoo.

    pot, is that you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior."

    ReplyDelete
  4. everyone: Can a leopard change his spots? Seriously ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. not easily and not without serious therapy. if he couldn't even remember why you didn't meet he is not willing/ conscious/ responsible enough. also if he really realized that he was an ass, he should have at least had the decency to drag his ass to DC to see you rather than suggest the other way around. sounds like bad news. you don't want to be his experiment to decide whether he's changed or not (none of your friends want you to be that). so i really think you should stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go, arrange for your own hotel room. No need for VUBOQ to be chained in some strange basement for all time -- unless that's what your original gay.com ad asked for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't go, I'll miss your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. He sounds perfect... if you want to be involved in a long-distance relationship with an alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't let the fact that you're crazy get in the way of meeting people. We're all bloody crazy. If you let that stop you, you're not going to have any fun at all.

    ReplyDelete