Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Curse of the Golden Flower

Monday morning, around 11:45
"The movie starts at 2:30, so I'll meet you at Gallery Place before then."
"OK.

Gallery Place, 2:30.
"I'm running a little late. I'll be there in about 5 minutes."
"Fine. I'll go into the theater and get seats."

Gallery Place, 4:45.
"You're mad at me, aren't you?"
"No. I'm not mad. I'm irritated. And frustrated."
"You can tell me you're angry. I'll still be your friend."
"If I were angry, you'd know it."

Every time the door opened into the theater, I thought it was you. Every time. I couldn't enjoy the first 20 minutes of the movie because I was looking at the door to see if you had arrived. After that, I couldn't enjoy the movie because I was fluctuating between worry and irritation. I considered leaving to find out what happened. But, I can't allow someone else to dictate my decisions. I'm irritated that you were inconsiderate. I'm irritated that you couldn't bother to pay attention when I told you the name of the movie and where it was showing. Mostly though, I'm irritated that it bothered me so much and that I can't seem to let it go.

And that 9:30PM phone call attempting to justify what you did by saying that the movie was showing (about 2 weeks ago) at the first theater you went to didn't really help.

So, I'm irritated, cranky, and didn't sleep well last night. In addition, I downloaded a new version of Internet Explorer and it's not working, so I can't get online at home. I have a feeling this is going to be a craptastic week. And, I need to work on changing that ...

To do that, I am going to ...

A) Not give inconsiderate people power over my attitude.
B) Try to get my stupid IE to work.
C) Job hunt like a crazy person and hopefully find a position somewhere, anywhere, that suits my abilities and is challenging.

Not that a new job will fix my life, but it will be a step in the right direction ...

8 comments:

  1. *Huge hugs*

    I'm sorry you had such a crappy start to your week. I hope you get your IE up and running soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Firefox would be less pissy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry -- People astonish me by their inconsiderateness. It's also weird to me that people choose to lie about it, thus making their first bad choice even worse.

    I agree with Chelsea about Firefox.

    A new job would be good -- A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I've just e-mailed to the "inconsiderate person" asking "how was the movie yesterday?"...let me see his response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. inconsiderate is probably too nice a way to describe this idiot.. whomever it is.

    good luck with getting IE to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The man is not a friend. Friends don't repeatedly do stupid shit like this. If this is Mike you're talking about, he's a jerk. You SHOULD be mad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you left out the part about the emotional baggage that is tied up with the "inconsiderate" one and how that plays into the lingering irritation.

    in the meantime, waiting for your movie to end was a good opportunity to stop in at the american art museum and see a couple of very good shows! everyone should go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True about the AAM Diablo, Jake and I went there a while back and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete