Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jitters

Some of you may have a hard time believing this, but I am quite shy. I always have been. Meeting new people and being thrown into new situations is very nerve-wracking. Usually, I put on a brave face, steel myself, and plunge in. It's not fun. I don't enjoy it, but the alternative is to sit at home alone, typing in my blog, watching DVDs, and knitting.

I like doing all those things, but I don't think I would like to do them exclusively.

Tonight, I will going to an event with about 250 people. I will know one other person, the guest of honor. Just thinking about it makes my chest get all tight. However, I will go.

I will focus on my breathing.
I will remember to smile.
I will make small talk with interesting people ... and, hopefully, not come off as being a complete dullard.
I will have a good time.

And, if I don't, at least I'm getting a free meal. *heh*

Wish me luck ...

8 comments:

  1. A free meal would certainly outweigh any jitters I might have about attending.

    Yep,I'm cheap like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am that way in large groups of people I don't know too. I have decided that there are all sorts of ways to meet people that are much more intimate--not sexual--and meaningful. I don't even bother with those events anymore unless I am attending with my own entourage.

    Good luck and don't beat your self up if you feel like slipping out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I hate that sort of situation at least as much as you do. So unfortunately I have no advice. I force myself to do them when I think there's a chance the benefit may outweigh the agony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can be really shy as well. If this is a dinner deal, though, you will probably have at least part of the evening at tables, no? That makes it much easier to chat people up.

    Besides, aren't you on the scope-out for a new Mr. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're braver than me. I am horribly shy in situations like that. I never know what to say, and when I'm at my shyest, I stutter. My saving hope is to be seated near someone who likes to talk. I am a good listener. You'll look cute, anyhow! I hope you meet someone interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm shy too. but you know, VUBOQ, you come across as charming and fun. i suppose just keep in mind that you are under no obligation to entertain people/ charm them or talk to them if they are not interesting. i often go with minimal polite interaction and extended talks if i think the person is interesting. Just have fun and enjoy the glamour of the press club :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hpoe it went pretty well without any pressure :-) But I can feel for you. When I have to attend something like that, I usually have two or three glasses of wine before heading out. That totally works :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Shigeki! Totally agree with that comment! But the main rule for meeting new people is to appear interested in them. Think about the people you've met that have made an impact on you.

    The way I "appear" interested in people is that I imagine I'm in a quiz show and and the end of the event I could be asked anything about anyone of the people there for $1m. So I make it my business to find out as much as possible.

    I should also mention that I don't seek money very actively so it's not a case of rushing around asking as many questions as you can, it's just about listening to and enquiring about anything you're told.

    ReplyDelete