So, for my Meat-Free Monday meal, I made a yummy Thai-inspired melon soup (pictured below) and a veggie burger. Mmm ... Here's the recipe I used:
Thai Chilled Melon Soup with Shrimp and Fragrant Herbs [VUBOQ modifications in BOLD]
- 3 cups chopped ripe cantaloupe
- 1 tablespoon sugar [omitted]
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger [after mincing one tsp. realized that everything would be pureed so just threw a chunk of ginger in the blender]
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemon grass [substituted 1 teaspoon lemon juice]
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (we used Mae Ploy) [probably used more than 1 tsp.]
- 1 can (13 to 14 ounces) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt [omitted]
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Topping [didn't bother with the topping]:
- ¼ pound bay shrimp or chopped cooked shrimp (about 3/4 cup)
- ¼ cup tiny-diced water chestnuts (Fresh ones are great if you can find them!)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs and lime wedges [garnish smarnish]
1. In a food processor or blender, process the cantaloupe,
3. Ladle soup into small bowls, and spoon a pouf [a pouf?] of topping into each serving. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Pass lime wedges on the side.
Oh. And I chilled the soup for about an hour in the fridge. And I used some chunks of cantaloupe instead of a garnish.
Here it is:
Love me. Love my melon soup.
*Meat-Free Smooches* to everyone who enjoyed a meat-free meal yesterday ... especially you, Dillon!!!