Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Meat-Free Monday: I Followed a Recipe Edition

For those of you who know me well, the title is a bit of a fib. I couldn't resist a little "recipe improv" ... well, that and I couldn't find any lemon grass at the Whole Foods.

So, for my Meat-Free Monday meal, I made a yummy Thai-inspired melon soup (pictured below) and a veggie burger. Mmm ... Here's the recipe I used:

Thai Chilled Melon Soup with Shrimp and Fragrant Herbs [VUBOQ modifications in BOLD]

Soup:
- 3 cups chopped ripe cantaloupe
- 1 tablespoon sugar [omitted]
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger [after mincing one tsp. realized that everything would be pureed so just threw a chunk of ginger in the blender]
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemon grass [substituted 1 teaspoon lemon juice]
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (we used Mae Ploy) [probably used more than 1 tsp.]
- 1 can (13 to 14 ounces) coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt [omitted]
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Topping [didn't bother with the topping]:
- ¼ pound bay shrimp or chopped cooked shrimp (about 3/4 cup)
- ¼ cup tiny-diced water chestnuts (Fresh ones are great if you can find them!)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs and lime wedges [garnish smarnish]

1. In a food processor or blender, process the cantaloupe, sugar, ginger, lemon grass and curry paste until evenly puréed. Mix in the coconut milk, salt and lime juice. [Oh, wait, I just threw everything in the blender]
2. In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients together.
3. Ladle soup into small bowls, and spoon a pouf [a pouf?] of topping into each serving. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Pass lime wedges on the side.

Oh. And I chilled the soup for about an hour in the fridge. And I used some chunks of cantaloupe instead of a garnish.

Here it is:

Meatfree9

Love me. Love my melon soup.

*Meat-Free Smooches* to everyone who enjoyed a meat-free meal yesterday ... especially you, Dillon!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'll give it a go. I love your attitude to recipes! I tend to be very similar - if I want to cook something (butter chicken was a prime example of this) I'll google it and read through the first few results. Then, having spotted the recurring ingrediants/techniques I'll shut down the computer and go to do my own thing. Hence virtually everything I cook has the word "inspired" after it.

    Another example is Moussaka, the classic greek dish. I love that but both TT and I detest slimy aubergine(egg plant?), so I use layers of carefully sliced (vertically, so they're kind of same shape as auborgine slices) capsicum instead.

    But as this is your recipe and I've never tried it before I'll follow it as faithfully as I can and let you know the result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you left out the salt!

    ReplyDelete