Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Meat-Free Monday: God Damn I'm a Good Cook Edition

Sometimes the experimental cooking goes horribly, horribly awry. Other times, like last night, it's an amazing and delicious success. I wanted to lick my plate it was so good. YUM!

Last night, I made a stuffed heirloom tomato on a bed of salad greens with a reduced balsamic vinegar sauce and (leftover) pesto pasta salad. *drool*

Here's what I did:

Stuffed heirloom tomato:

Slice off the top of the tomato and scoop out the insides. Dice the insides.
In a hot pan, saute some garlic and onion in olive oil.
Once soft, add the diced tomato innards.
Cook until mushy and not as liquidy.
Add other veggies - I added frozen corn, green beans, and roasted red pepper.
Add cornbread [I think I used about a cup of diced cornbread from Whole Foods].
Add lots of parmesan cheese.
Add toasted pinenuts.
Once everything is sufficiently warmed and cooked, refill the tomato.

I thought about cooking the tomato, but decided that it would become too soft and be unmanageable.

Meanwhile,

Balsamic Reduction:

Pour about 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar into a small pot. Simmer until it is reduced by about two-thirds. Then, add a dollop of butter.

The pesto salad was leftover from the picnic on Saturday. BUT, I made my own pesto (basil, olive oil, parmesan, and pine nuts)! It was yummy.

So ... anyway ... here's a photo:

Meatfree10


Trust me. It was delicious!

In other news, I had this totally weird dream last night in which I was visiting Jay in New Zealand (but, wait! Doesn't he live in Australia?). That was fun [You're a great dreamhost, Jay], but somehow, my friend, Darryl, and I ended up at my parents' house (still in New Zealand). In the course of Darryl telling a story about being mugged, I inadvertantly come out to my folks. Much drama ensued. The conversation went something like this:

[In the kitchen, with my family]
Darryl: Then, he pointed a gun at me.
Me: Was he holding it straight up or to the side? Because a guy I was dating [voice drifts off]...
Darryl: ...
Me: ...
Parents: ...
[Cue Drama]

Lessee ... I actually have some work to do today. bleah. I have to respond to about 13 email and proofread the cute, but not able to write very well, co-worker's responses as well. Plus, I must wander down to the post office. AND, I have to figure out if I have the money/time to visit Philadelphia this weekend.

FUN. *many happy smooches*

7 comments:

  1. You know when you inadvertently read something - kind of like a Freudian Slip, only when you're reading? Well, I did that. I read that you needed to figure out if you had the money/time to visit Portland this weekend.

    *sigh*

    I'll be fine. Don't worry about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you lots of points for your plateing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tomato looks delicious. Strike that! The whole plate looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is one MASSIVE tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome to visit any time mate, but I'm not sure we've got enought space for your folks and Darryl all at the same time! And I'm not planning on moving to Kiwi-land either, so you'll have to put up with Brisbane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipe sounds great btw. I've already told TT what we're having on Tuesday now! But to save me googling, what is cornbread? I'm sure it's probably something we have but under another name, like croutons, or bread crumbs? Bloody zucchini/cucumber issues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE A GODDAMNED GENIUS. Holy cow, that looks delicious!

    Now why on earth are you having coming out anxiety dreams about your parents?!

    ReplyDelete