Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Finding Center

It's been a long time since I've felt clay's oozy grittiness slide between my fingers. Yesterday in class, I concentrated on centering.

It was about the process. I wanted to reaquaint myself with the clay and the wheel. To see if my hands remembered where they should go and what they should do.

They didn't.

I used the kick wheel. I prefer it. I feel more in control. And it's kind of nice to be "off-grid" if only for a little while.

Wedge.
Slam.
Slap center.
Wet.
Kick.
Spin.
Press down.
Press from the side.
Add water.
Press.
Kick.
Wet.
Press.
Kick.
Open.
Kick.
Compress.
Kick.
Pull.

I was the only one who didn't keep his first lopsided cylinder. Or his second, for that matter. The instructor looked at me like I was weird ... but I have enough sad, lumpy cylinders at home.

Technique, kittens. It's all about technique.

3 comments: