Thursday, May 18, 2006

Weekend Happenings

I drove John's truck to work this morning so I can haul all my laundry and my recently returned from Diablo and very heavy inflatable mattress back to my apartment. My parents are visiting this weekend, and I need to do some light pre-visit cleaning - dusting, vaccuuming, cleaning the bathroom, making the place look like someone lives in it ...

I never bother putting too much effort into cleaning because my mother usually takes one look at my home and whips out her pocket supply of cleaning goods [Go! Go! Gadget Duster]. Don't be surprised if I blog on Monday about her dusting my lightbulbs.

Tonight will be the last night I "see" John until after Memorial Day, what with my parents here and then him travelling for work all next week. bleah. Dog-sitting. I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do the whole dog thing on Sunday/Monday, since John leaves Sunday afternoon and my parents don't go until Monday morning. I'll think of something.

Anyway, the important things for me to decide today and tomorrow are where to take my parents sightseeing (probably not here) and where to take them to dinner.

Food first ...

I'm thinking Friday night we can eat in Silver Spring at either Mandalay (mmm ... burmese food) or El Golfo (mmm ... spinach enchiladas). When we go into DC, I thought we could either eat at my favorite, Jaleo (Spanish tapas), or Zaytinya (Middle Eastern mezze). I might cook one night, depending on how I feel and where we are.

As for our Day in DC outing ... We will probably spend the time on the Mall. They haven't been to the "new" National Museum of the American Indian (which has a lovely cafeteria, btw). They might also enjoy the Hokusai exhibit at the Sackler Gallery (where I used to work in the gift shop).

Hmm ... except that exhibit closed on May 14th. How disappointing. The Freer/Sackler Galleries still have some interesting exhibits going on though.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Charles Sheeler exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, since I did a high school English term paper on him. Or maybe the Grant Wood exhibit (scroll down) at the Renwick.

They also mentioned seeing the "new" National World War II memorial. That seems like a lot of walking ... especially if we're at the other end of the Mall, "enjoying" the NMAI.

This itenerary (for lack of a better word) also seems kinda museum heavy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I think I'd prefer to sit on a Mexican restaurants patio all afternoon drinking margaritas, but I doubt the non-drinking parental units would approve.

What about hitting the shops on the U St. Corridor?

GAH.

total linkaliciousness, huh?

5 comments:

  1. the phillips collection has their famous renoir back. and the show that is there now is pretty nice too. they also have evening perfomances most weekends. go there then stop by the leather rack for some wholesome family fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes I avoid having my parents over. My mom is just like yours and it stresses me out, since they are a 15 minute drive away it's all good.

    Have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A museum, some food, some shopping. I'd call that done. Let 'em sit around your apartment after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents used to live 2 miles away, now I'm almost 10000 miles away. I still go cold when I hear they're about to visit, and clean frantically.

    Will this ever end?! I'm a big boy now, I shouldn't have to tidy my room/house... [huff]

    Only me

    ReplyDelete
  5. what about a play at studio theater or arena stage? there's also the shakespeare theatre – always great fun!

    ReplyDelete