Friday, May 05, 2006

Tipping Point

or I Went to the Chik-fil-a and a music video broke out

The line was long at Chik-fil-a this morning. Apparently, someone had ordered several party platters and the line chefs were in a tizzy. Managers ran around, pouring coffee all over themselves. Workers gave out too much change. The works!

Several people waited patiently for their orders to be filled.

"I need fruit cups," the cute little cash register girl called out.

"Good morning," I said. "I'll have an egg and cheese biscuit and a large coffee, please."

"Your fruit cups will be right out," she responded. Hm. On second thought, that probably wasn't directed towards me.

More people entered. The manager dashed about like a Chik-fil-a with his head cut off. There was a brief moment of silence, and, then ...

Now I've had the time of my life
No, I've never felt like this before
Yes, I swear, it's the truuuuuth ...

Bill Medley's voice wafted above the heads of the hungry masses.

I received my food and walked to the door. That's when I noticed it.

Something big was about to happen.
I could tell.

Toes had started tapping.
Random people were humming and singing along.
Black. White. Male. Female. Young. Old.
[OK, mostly Old. How many young people remember that song?]

I sensed I was at the Cusp of Something Big.
At any moment the Tipping Point would occur, and a music video would break out.
Singing! Dancing! Jazz hands!

A Dirty Dancing Party in the Silver Spring Chik-fil-a!

Before I could be sucked in to the madness, I turned my back and walked to my office.

Right now, I'm sure Patrick Swayze is saying "Nobody puts Cute Little Cash Register Girl in a corner," while everyone else dances their hearts out.

3 comments:

  1. i *heart* that song. i'd have done the "jazz hands."

    great! now, i've that song in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made the right decision, just keep walking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to see a real life musical, but I too am late for work and don't get to hang out to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete