Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ignore the Man Behind the Curtain

and the dirty dishes in the sink.

I felt a little guilty about having such a pathetic Meat-Free Monday picture, so here's a treat:

Meat-Free Tuesday!

Fire and Ice Tomato Salad. Yum.

Slice one tomato.
Peel, de-seed, and slice one cucumber.
Thinly slice half of one red onion.
Place in dish.

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil, 3-4 tbsps red wine vinegar, one clove garlic, one jalapeno pepper (de-seeded, if you wish), 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste.
Blend in food processor.
Pour dressing over sliced veggies.
Cover and chill.

Eat. Say "YUM!"

AND, it's even better the next day! Mmm. Mmm.

If you're wondering about the beverage, it's my own concoction:

A Strawberry limoncellotini!

Put juice of one lemon and 2-3 oz of homemade strawberry limoncello over ice in a shaker.

SHAKE IT! SHAKE IT! SHAKE IT like you've got Parkinson's Disease!
Strain into chilled martini glass.
Drink. Say "YUM!"

7 comments:

  1. No time to blog atm, so I'll post comments to you instead!:

    - Both times you say "YUM" should read "YUM - Thanks VUBOQ!"

    - Why de-seed cucumber? Never heard of doing that, the jalapeno, fine (If you're a wuss), but why a cucumber? Do the seeds add extra coolness?!

    - Meat free tuesday?! Bollocks, you should have warned me, while you were busy posting I was busy eating a lasagne - I've blown it now!

    - Radio 1, the national station for teens to 30's in UK have an interesting new feature, I'll post about it later.

    Cheers for recipe ideas!
    Only Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm.. and this dish is an appetizer? where's the actual entree?? There is an entree, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only Me: I like to de-seed cucumbers because cukes w/ seeds tend to get slimy more quickly. And no one likes slimy cukes. *heh* Pervy Monkey Moment *heh*

    jjd: Entree? Did you not see the Strawberry Limoncellotini?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That salad looks awesome.

    That beverage looks awesome.

    Many recipes suggest one deseeds cukes because the seeds tend to be bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm Limoncello!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. American cucumbers have got big seeds in them, that's why you de-seed them.

    That drink looks delicious, but I have concerns about the home-made strawberry booze...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just madethe tomato salad! Quite yummy, though I don't think my peppers were hot enough. I'm glad I had my handy mini-cuisinart processor to whip up the dressing... after I dusted it off.

    ReplyDelete