Monday, May 15, 2006

Meat-Free Monday: Cous Cous Salad Edition

I don't think I'm going to feel like cooking tonight, so here's my Meat-Free Monday post. I actually made it last night ... a very easy peasy not cheesy cous cous salad.

Ingredients:

One box instant cous cous (I used Near East something and pine nuts flavor), one can red beans, one can black beans, one cup frozen corn, diced tomato, olive oil, red wine vinegar, assorted spices and stuff.

Directions:

1. Make cous cous per instructions on the box.
2. Drain and rinse the beans.
3. Dice tomato.
4. Thaw corn.
5. Make simple red wine vinegrette dressing (using red wine, olive oil, spices - I like salt, pepper, and fresh garlic, but I didn't have any garlic last night).
6. Once cous cous is cooked, add beans, tomato, corn, and dressing.
7. Mix.
8. Serve on bed of salad greens, if so desired.

It's nice served warm or cold, but I prefer it warm. Also, you can add other fun stuff too, like - I dunno- maybe jalapenos? or roasted red peppers? or peas?

So, who else went (or is going) Meat-Free today?

5 comments:

  1. i've participated today!!! go over to my blog and see what i've partaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too. no meat will enter my mouth today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did, but it was more through chance than choice, I just didn't happen to have any meat products in the cupboard/fridge...

    Sorry! Does my "participation" still count?!

    I've not even mentioned kebabs on my page today, that make me postively vegan...

    Only Me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does my 4 cheese lean cuisine count? If so then yay! Also, what does cous cous taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a soup very much like this one.

    ReplyDelete