Friday, May 12, 2006

The Email That Will Never Be Sent

My mother sent my brother and me this email today:

Hi favorite sons...

The greatest gift you give me is your love. One of the gifts I would like from each of you is for you to attend church...to begin practicing the teachings we tried to instill in you as you were growing up. The Church is a good place to find love and acceptance...to have a support group and to become closer to our God.

For this Mother's Day the gift I would like is for you to attend a worship service in a church. Of course, packages with bows are always appreciated(sorry, that is the materialisticism in me coming out!) I love you very much...and am so blessed to have you as sons.

Mom


Dear Mom:

The gift you ask for is one I am unable to give. Even the Methodist church, which tends to be quite liberal, your Church, will not accept me as I am*. Fortunately, I have found love and acceptance without the Church. My friends, both here in DC and elsewhere, are my support group, my lifeline.

I don't believe it is necessary to attend church to practice what you taught us. Mike and I live it every day by working hard, being kind to others, and striving to be the best people we can.

For me, living a life I am proud of is more important than participating in organized religion. I am happy with who I have become and the choices I have made. I hope that you and Dad will be too.

Love,
VUBOQ :-)

*Since 1972, the Book of Discipline has declared "homosexual practice" to be "incompatible with Christian teaching." Following the 1972 incompatibility clause other restrictions have been added at subsequent General Conferences. Currently the Book of Discipline prohibits the ordination of "practicing, self-avowed homosexuals," forbids clergy from blessing or presiding over same-sex unions, forbids the use of UMC facilities for same-sex union ceremonies and prohibits the use of Church funds for "gay caucuses" or other groups that "promote the acceptance of homosexuality." (Source: Wikipedia)

I'm having the strangest feeling of de ja vu here. Does anyone from my Enviroboi days at diary-x remember a similar entry? The email message is new, but my response ... it seems very familiar.

4 comments:

  1. You don't know me but I read your blog today and was impressed. When all is said and done, what really is important? An asshole straight person or a compassionate human being.
    You don't have to go to church to be a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, moving reply. Did you send it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:48 AM

    Damn. I guess we all have a "churchy" person in our lives. We know they love us and just want the best for us....but show how little they really know us, sometimes. *sigh* ((hugs))

    ~~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that she's concerned about your spiritual life.

    Sad she thinks church is the answer.

    Give me a good person over a churchgoer any day, and what they do in the bedroom's irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete