Tuesday, May 16, 2006

An Important Day in the Life

First of all, big big BIG *Meat-Free Monday Smooches* to those of you who eschewed meat for one meal yesterday [and left a comment letting me know]. You (yes, you, fullofhype, dillon, diablo, and only me) made a teeny tiny drop in the very large bucket to help improve our world!

Second of all, yesterday, this:

likker

After 6 days in a cool dark place, became this:

Likker2

Strawberry Limoncello! It's a little sweet, but still yummy! I think it will make a refreshing summer drink, perhaps mixed with club soda.

The start of the recipe is here. Then ...

1. After 6 days, strain out the strawberries and lemon zest.
2. Discard the strawberries and zest.
3. Make a simple syrup. I used 2 cups of sugar dissolved in 750 mL of filtered water (use the empty likker bottle to measure the water).
4. Once the syrup has cooled to room temperature, add it to the filtered likker.
5. Sample a bit over ice and enjoy!

Word to the Wise: If you try storing it in the freezer, it will become very thick and viscous. I just keep it in a cool dark cabinet.

Third of all, one year ago today, John and I had our first date (and, subsequently, our first kiss ... and second kiss ... and third kiss ... FINE! We made out. *sheesh*).

We met at Dupont Circle and had dinner at Levantes. I had the spinach pie (spanakopita). It was yummy. Then, we walked over to Cobalt on 17th Street for after dinner drinks.

And, the rest, as "they" say, is history.

I had hoped to go back to Levantes tonight, but I forgot that John has out of town training today and tomorrow. He is undecided if he will spend the night there or not. *sigh*

More later, but until then *many happy smooches*

6 comments:

  1. A year?? That's crazy! If I were there, I'd toast (with your Strawberry Limoncello, of course) to another happy year!

    For now, I'm just going to try to deal with the yucky heat that we have going on here right now... Unseasonably hight heat. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You post recipes and you knit! I think I'm in love. :->

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, when are you having me over?

    re: tiny difference, it reminded me of the parable of the starfish that was used to close out my session on becoming an effective facilitator. it made me want to gag on a spoon. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks incredible, I must try it. I love how your martini glass is in the first shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your strawberry Limoncello is like a summer version of a European winter drink. It's called Rumtopf and there's recipe/info here. We add summer fruit during the summer months then get pissy on it in the winter to remind us of summer. If that makes sense....!

    Only Me!

    ReplyDelete