Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Afternoon Smelled Like Dimetapp

On my walk home from work yesterday, I noticed something peculiar: The air had a distinct grape-ish scent, not like actual grapes, but more like the medicine-y purple smell of Dimetapp. I wondered if I could be smelling some sort of flower or pollen that blooms only at this time of year.

A quick google search indicated that kudzu flowers give off a grape-like scent. Having grown up in Western North Carolina, I am well-familiar with the Plant that Ate the South*. I did not see any kudzu plants on my walk home, so I am at a loss as to what I was smelling.

I have read that sometimes certain smells can trigger memories. This one did not, and my thoughts rapidly moved away from grapes and to how I would spend the evening.

Once home, I decided to strap on my rollerblades for a quick jaunt through Sligo Creek Park. It was lovely - warm and sunny with a light breeze. Not until I hit the last leg of my journey did my experience in exercise become unpleasant.

Somewhere along the banks of Sligo Creek and the intersection of Sligo Creek Parkway and Piney Branch Road lives a tree whose pollen does not agree with me. My eyes started to water and itch, and I began to sneeze ... violently. I quickly retraced my steps (er ... skates) and headed home. I had to take out my contacts and wash my face several times.

Then, I made a martini (as a reward for exercising, natch) and hit the shower. At 6:30, I called John. It went straight to voicemail, so I left a message saying I was back from rollerblading and asked him to call me back.

For dinner, I ate the rest of my Chipotle burrito (resistance wasn't futile!) and polished off the last few cookies from Adam. I knitted for a bit. Around 8, I still hadn't heard from John, so I called again. It went straight to voicemail.

I watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

At 9:30, John called. "Are you still rollerblading," he asked accusingly.
"Uh, no. Do you not check your voicemail?"
"I didn't get any voicemail."
"I called twice and left messages both times."
"Well, it doesn't matter. I'll come pick you up now."

45 minutes later, he arrived and said, "You did call. I don't know why the calls didn't come through."

Some responses are best not said aloud, so I held my tongue. We went to bed soon after getting back to his place.

This morning, we had amazing sex.

And, that is all ... except for a few housekeeping announcements:

1. I have added Center of Gravitas and Way Beyond the Pale to my list of Blogoliciousness. Both are very entertaining. Go. Read them.

2. Don't forget: Mother's Day (in the US and Canada) is coming up on May 14th. If you need a gift idea, might I suggest Wolferman's Gourmet? I have sent mom gift baskets from there before, and she really liked them (at least, she said she did). This year she's getting this.

*According to legend, at least what I was told as a child, kudzu was originally imported to the US from China as feed for cattle, because it is high in nutrients. Kudzu seems to like it here, growing up to 3 feet per day and covering hills, trees, buildings in its leafy vine embrace. In the winter you can see its brown skeleton stretched across the countryside.

2 comments:

  1. forgot to look for those knee pads but i'd think by now you won't really need them give all your practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudzu is taking over the world.

    Yay for amazing sex!

    Cute gift basket. My mom's getting a card and the knitted, felted slippers I promised her last Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete