Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Thoughts on Blogging

There are a few blogs that a read daily (sometimes several times a day). They are over there -->

Then, there are some blogs that I read when I'm on one of my daily reads and I think "Oh. I haven't read that person's blog in awhile."

And, so you start reading this person's blog and they seem like an entirely different person. Cruising in leather bars? What? Single? Where's the boyfriend? The one that completed him? Huh? What happened? Like you're reading a novel and three chapters are missing.

And, then you think, that's pretty much what most of these blogs you read are - novels. The people aren't real. You'll probably never meet them. They are only your friends in the way that Elizabeth Bennet or Sherlock Holmes or Jane Eyre or, heck, the rabbits in Watership Down are your friends.

And, then, you realize that writing in the second person is pretentious and annoying, so you switch to first person, which is not so pretentious and annoying. Suddenly, you feel better.

Because if there's one thing I hate, it's when I become pretentious and annoying. Anyway, that's what I was thinking about earlier. It's a little harsh and not entirely true, because I do feel a deeper than just-a-novel connection to some blogs. I read them and I worry about the author. Which means there was really no point to this entry. Let's talk about likker some more.

I went to the Likker Store during my lunch break.

I bought: 750 mL Maker's Mark (and thought of Hot Toddy), 750 mL of Bombay Sapphire (and thought of ME), and 1 L of Ketel One (and thought of no one in particular). I also bought some vermouth.

Vodka and Gin martinis and Manhattans are in my very near future. WOO HOO!

4 comments:

  1. I wanna read that blog about cruising in leather bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did someone say Manhattans?!

    How do you get to your house again?! I'm on my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of bloggers, I kind of missed you so I took the time to switch your link at my blog to this one. Sorry it took me so long...

    ReplyDelete
  4. manhattans are my favorite drink, 2-3 shots makers mark, 1/2 to 3/4 shot vermouth, a dash of bitters, 1 cherry. mmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete