Monday, March 27, 2006

Germs and the Like

"I told you not to come over the other day," John said. "I told you, you'd get sick."
"You said you didn't think you were contagious anymore," I shot back. "Lying bastard."

Did I say that outloud? Hm. No response, so I must've only thought it. Whew.

I had gone four days without sex. Germs be damned. I needed some nookie. Well, I got it.

Nookie and germs.

Actually, I felt fine until Sunday morning. We had had a relaxing weekend. Friday night, we had a quiet dinner and blobbed around the house. Saturday, we had a nice lie in. Then, I drove to the post office to pick up my birthday package from the folks.

They really outdid themselves this year. Usually, my birthday packages are Dollar Store Extravaganzas. This year, they sent me a package full of gift cards: $25 to Austin Grill, $50 to Jaleo (my favorite restaurant), $50 to Barnes and Nobles, and $100 to Target. Wow! I made out like a bandit. Sometimes, I wonder why they are spending so much on me (and my brother) now.

I think maybe they are trying to make up for not being able to buy us things when we were younger? Or maybe now that they are retired, child-free, and relatively debt-free, they have more disposable income? I don't know. All of these presents from them twinge my conscience a bit. I tell them I don't need anything, that I'm happy with what I have. I guess it's one way that they show they love us.

Anyway, after dropping the package off at my house, I drove back to John's. While he worked in the yard, I made lunch - french fries, salad, and burgers. I touched ground beef! Ew. I also did about a gabillion loads of laundry.

That night, we went to Austin Grill (gift card! yay!) then to planned to see either V for Vendetta or Inside Man. I started feeling a little rundown, so we skipped the movie.

Sunday, I woke up feeling like crap, which didn't stop me from gettin' a little something something however. John drove me home around noon and I blobbed around the house, knitting, watching movies, and playing with my pussy.

Mom also sent one of those toy chicks that peeps when you touch it. Everytime I did, Isabella would come running up to it and sniff at it. FUN!

I also made espresso for the first time, using the stovetop espresso pot my parents gave me for Christmas. And, I got to use one of the cute little espresso cups and saucers I bought back when I was dating the Italian Proffesor. And, one of the cute little espresso spoons my parents gave me. AND, I knitted another 2 or 3 inches on my sweater. Good God that thing is taking me forever. Speaking of knitting, Ms. Martini, I'm going to be ordering yarn soon. Let me know what you want :-)

I felt OK when I got up this morning. But, now, I'm starting to feel a little light-headed and stuffy. I think I'll wander over to Whole Foods in a little while to get a Coldbuster Smoothie. Mmm. Smoothie.

oh. And, thank you for all of your thoughtful comments on my previous post. It's made me think a lot about how I write and how I express my opinions. I wasn't as clear in my writing as a should have been. If my head weren't as foggy, I would make an addendum. For now, that is going to have to wait.

3 comments:

  1. 1) Sickness sucks. 2) I think that parents spend more on their children as they get older, just as a general trend. 3) I heard Inside Man is FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry you're sick. I've *knock wood* thus far managed to avoid getting sick. everytime i feel run down i sleep for 20 hours and all is well.

    cool about the gift certificates. perhaps they're spending your inheritance one gift certificate at a time :)

    as to the previous post, you'll always get a variety of reactions about the issue of pets. i think the last comment was over the top though. no one spoke like farmers i know. animals are for eating or working. yes, they're companions as well, but they're not children and the emotional attachment isn't the same. i thought you wrote just fine. unless you said something that wasn't the way you meant to say it.

    i'm still of the opinion that yes, i will spend money on my animals, i spent over $2000 one spring when my kitty got sick with a liver/gall bladder infection. however, that was spread out over several months and i knew that she would recover. otherwise my comment remains as it is.

    and for the comment about not having "known the love of an animal" that's crap. i have known. it's because of that love that i take great care in my decisions about their health. i'm not going to make an animal suffer unnecessarily to spare my feelings. that's just cruel.

    there. i've just started a fight on your comments, enviroboi :) you can thank me later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Naomi. Thanks for the comment. I'm still feeling a little woozy from the cold medicine. I've typed and erased about 5 explanations so far. I don't think any of them are any better than what I wrote to begin with. I probably should have left the pet insurance topic for another day because it muddled the issue.

    John said something that summarizes what I feel, "In the end, you have to decide are you doing this for your pet, or are you doing it for you?"

    ReplyDelete