Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Gay Sex Supernova

I'm so hip. I'm so trendy. I'm so urban.

Last night, John and I went to the wonderful E Street Cinema to watch a documentary about Gay! Sex! in! the! 70s! Who else but city dwellers do that sort of thing on a Monday night?

Gay Sex in the 70s was pretty much what I expected it to be - a thoughtful, fun, respectful look at gay men from 1969 (Stonewall) to 1981 (the onset of AIDS). I also expected it to be slightly depressing when the conversation inevitably turned to AIDS. However, rather than dwell on death and disease, the filmmaker chose to focus on how sexual liberation created a sense of community among gay men, which, in turn, provided a network of support and political activism for people with AIDS. I left with a feeling of hope tinged with sadness.

On the way home from the theater, John and I got into a discussion about what life would have been like without AIDS. "Imagine," John said, "what it would be like. Gay men would practically be fucking in the streets. Here. Now." I disagreed with John's theory of a sexually uninhibited society.

I think what would have happened is a Gay Sex Supernova: It would flare up brilliantly, but, eventually (and fairly quickly), the wild crazy sex would have burned itself out.

If you live in DC (or the surrounding area), go see this movie. I think it's only showing until Thursday [which, by the way, is Dining Out for Life, a fundraiser for Food and Friends and the last day of my haiku contest].

2 comments:

  1. Damn me for not living in the DC area.

    ssppeqkg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *want* to return to the real world and live somewhere with less dirt and more culture, but nooooo, I had to go and marry a redneck and buy 27 acres.

    *rolleyes*

    That's it, I'm running away from home. I'm coming to DC. I know! I'll watch your condo while you're out watching John's apartment all the time!

    ReplyDelete