Friday, March 10, 2006

The First Day Above 70 Degrees Can Only Mean One Thing

Saturday Afternoon Margarita Season Has Begun!!!!

The pure joy of SAM.

For those of you who are relatively new to the World of Enviroboi/VUBOQ, here's a quick History of SAM:

When I was in graduate school, my friend, Tomoko (of Avon Breast Cancer Walk fame), and I would meet on random sunny afternoons at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Alero in Cleveland Park. We would sit on the patio, enjoy the sun, drink pitchers of margaritas, and laugh at all the poor slobs who had to work.

Unfortunately, we graduated and had to get real jobs. The afternoon margarita tradition morphed into Saturday Afternoon Margaritas. We've been doing this every few months (esp. in the Spring and Summer) for over 5 years.

Sometimes, it's just the two of us. Sometimes, a few friends join us. And, sometimes, more than a few friends attend (I think the largest attended SAM was about 12 people). Once, SAM even changed cities for SAM:BE [Saturday Afternoon Margaritas: Baltimore Edition].

Over time, we developed the N-rule: The number of pitchers consumed (N) can not be greater than the number of people present. N+1 nearly killed us one time. We are also working to perfect the Santa Margarita ratings scale in a quest for the perfect pitcher. Alero in Cleveland Park is consistantly 3 or 3.5 Santa Margaritas.

[SAM documented in photos on my old geocities site.]

Anyway, tomorrow, I am getting my hair cut (yay!). Afterwards, I'm meeting Tomoko and Robert at the Sackler Gallery of Art (my former weekend employer) to see the Hokusai Exhibit.

We've also discussed wandering down to the Hirshhorn Museum to see the Hiroshi Sugimoto Exhibit.

After an early afternoon filled with art, we will more than likely have a late afternoon filled with margaritas!

Aah. Saturday Afternoon Margaritas, how I've missed you!

5 comments:

  1. Yay art! Yay tequila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:46 PM

    "N+1 nearly killed us one time."

    Ooh! Ooh! You should make t-shirts for SAM with "N+1" and a big red "no" slashed circle!

    ....Apparently sleep deprivation does odd things to my sense of humor.

    ~~Chelsea
    http://tamarisk.bearfootden.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm...sam...sam i am?

    bran has book plates with that picture on them. i calligraphied his name and they look very fancy. mine are different but i can't remember off hand what's on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God. I used to live in Woodley Park and was HOOKED on Alero. Every Friday night...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomoko2:45 PM

    OK, this is my first comment on your blog:) I think SAM rule is "N+1 rule"....I remember three of us (you, me and Robert) had FIVE pitchers at Cactus Cantina...or I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete