Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why Can't We Sing Frosty the Snowman After Xmas?

Last night was yet another VUBOQian Cooking Adventure.

First, I started one of the two vodka infusions for the Global Blogger Meet-Up/VUBOQ's Vodka and Dessert Birthday Extravaganza. Here is a photo:



It should be ready in about a week. Then, I can start the second vodka infusion.

For my next trick, I made a "Moroccan Chickpea Stew." I put the title in quotes, because I wrote down the ingredients I needed to buy, but forgot to include the quantities. Plus, the recipe I found on epicurious used dried beans. And, VUBOQ?, he doesn't have the time/patience to soak and cook dried beans.

Of course, when I got home from the store, I realized I didn't have about 2/3 of the spices the recipe called for (that would be cumin and coriander). I did have cinnamon. YAY. I also have garam masala, which has cumin and coriander (and a bunch of other stuff) in it. So, that's what I used.

So here's what I did:

1. In large pot, cook one diced onion in about 1 T of olive oil until soft. Add one cinnamon stick while the onion is cooking.
2. Add two cans of organic chickpeas (juice and all).
3. Bring to a boil. Add a couple of shakes of garam masala (or more).
4. Add one large can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes (juice and all).
5. Add the zest of one lemon.
6. Simmer until until flavors mingle.
7. Serve with couscous and crusty bread.
8. Eat, smile, say "YUM."

Y came over. We had Angel Spit Martinis*. Then, he studied while I knitted on the Never-Ending Cardigan of Doom. I have also come to the realization that his 40th birthday is about a week after mine. I probably should help him plan some sort of party or something.

I also need to get my evites ready for the Global Blogger Meet-Up Events.

Of course, tonight, all I need to do is watch Project Runway. YAY!

More later, kittens. *smooches*

*Note to Dorotheeandjay: You can only buy Leopold's Gin in Ann Arbor, MI. If you want to make a martini with another really nice gin, try Plymouth London Dry. Keep your gin in the freezer. I usually use 1 oz dry vermouth, 3 oz gin, stir with ice (never shake!), and strain into a chilled martini glass with your favorite olives (I like garlic-stuffed olives).

8 comments:

  1. I am surprised you don't have cumin in your spice pantry. It's a staple! The chickpea stew sounds yummy!

    Is Y invited to the Global Blogger Meet-up? Will he show up?

    What does he want to do for/about his 40th? This could be a fun challenge for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Amethyst-infused vodka. Wish I could have some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait. Ooops. You can see that I don't read your posts in proper chronological order. For I can now see that the infusion is with blueberries, not amethysts. Sorry. My mistake. Still bet it's good though.

    I'll have to remember that when huckleberry season comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Plymouth London Dry for my martinis. It's better and less expensive than many of the other gins on the market. Like you, I also keep my gin in the freezer, but I don't stir or shake. I take a big jar of olives, empty out the brine, and fill with Vermout. I also slide in a few strips of lemon zest to soak along with the olives. Then when I'm ready to make a martini, I pull a martini glass out of the freezer, spear three vermouth-soaked olives on a toothpick, drop the toothpick in the glass, and carefully pour the Gin overtop the olives.

    Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I don't have a "Y" it's tough to get inspired to cook anything more complicated than chicken breasts with balsamic vinaigrette.

    And you're turning 40? Srsly? You bitch. You are only two years younger than me but you look ten years younger? Not acceptable.

    I thought the O in VUBOQ was some barely 30 year-olds lack of perspective. I want your genes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. david: Ack! I wish people would stop calling me out on my bad writing! Y is turning 40. His birthday is a week after my birthday. I will be a youthful 38.

    Oh, and re: the cooking, for me, it's much easier to be inspired to cook for myself than for other people. When I was dating the Cheating Cheater (who was not vegetarian friendly), I hardly cooked at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so disappointed! I tried to look for the Leopold's online so maybe I could buy it on their website, but no...
    I will get the Plymouth London Dry then.
    Thank you for the recipe, and thanks to The neighbors will hear as well, I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. Also, right? What is it with people who soak beans?

    ReplyDelete