Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Don't ... Tempt Me Further, Frodo Baggins

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation (with SCGB?) about vegetarianism. He had read an article (which I can't find), which stated that the most common food items that would make a Vegetarian renounce Vegetarianism were pork products.

Not surprisingly, the two foods which I have the most difficult time resisting (even after 8 years of being meat-free) are ...

Bacon and NC Pulled Pork BBQ

Sometimes, I dream about them ...

What is it about that wonderful, magical animal*?

#3 on my list (even though you didn't ask, and please don't be disgusted by this) is turkey skin. Mmm. Crispy, fatty turkey skin pulled off the bird on Thanksgiving morning. Mmmmm.

So, vegetarians, what meat do you find the most hard to resist?
Meat-eaters, what do you think you would have the hardest time giving up?

*From one of my favorite Simpsons dialogues:
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

13 comments:

  1. Beef! Who can resist a juicy steak???
    As for bacon, this is just weird, how can people like bacon? It feels like cardbox because it is always overcooked (apparently it's how it is suppose to be)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard bacon described as the gateway meat before. :) Me, I can definitely live without bacon. But you can pry salmon sashimi from my cold, dead omnivorous fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything tastes better with bacon.

    I could do okay giving up red meat, but chicken would be hard. It is such an easy, versatile source of protein. And I do love the other white meat, too.

    Given the collapsing economy and abuse of the environment, we will all soon be vegetarians whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hard to give up any form of food because I'm an equal opportunity eater. It's all about justice, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken would be hardest since I eat that most often. Fish and beef depend on the prep. (I don't eat the wonderful magical animal EXCEPT for bacon.) I might die if I could never have machaca again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:00 PM

    I'm a veg, and I miss Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. But not enough to ever eat them again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat any pork products so that meat is a non-issue for me. I don't eat much beef either. It would be very hard for me to give up chicken, though. However, since I eat kosher I have to go without meat most of the time, so giving up fish would be the hardest since that's the only meat I can eat when I'm dining out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, after nearly 15 years (well, since I quit all land-based meat - just over 13 since I quit seafood), I couldn't even imagine eating it again. When I did eat it, however, I'd have to say pork was high on the list of favorites, as was roast chicken or turkey skin fresh out of the oven (maybe it has to do with growing up in the Carolinas). I also loved chicken gizzards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wayyy back in my Green Mountain days, I came up with a marvelous idea:

    Know how you make vegetarian bacon taste better? You cook it with regular bacon.

    Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steak. I don't actually have it that often but when I fancy it, it has to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew that quote without even reading the footnote.... How sad am i!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm mostly a vegetarian by default -- as in I don't tend to eat meat because I don't like preparing it. I haven't been too fond of pork for decades. Still, every now and then, I absolutely must have a cheeseburger. A big, fat juicy cheeseburger, with all the fixins. Mmmmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been veg since September when I read Skinny Bitch. This was a few weeks following my "Chicken-Fried Steak Tour" of Texas.
    Now all I have to do is imagine the poor cow and the longing disappears!

    ReplyDelete