Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Knorking

Behold! The mostly finished Left Knitten (see knitten yesterday). I have to do the thumb, but I can't remember how to pick up stitches, and I'm too lazy to check the intarnetz. I'll do it when I get home tonight... I'm also a bit knorked out.

In other knitting news, I worked a bit on the Never-Ending Cardigan of DOOM last night. However, I had to tink the last row. And, then the final tinked stitch was totally forked. I figure that since it's on the end of the row, it won't matter though.

Here's a question for you knitterly types: When making a sweater, should you block the individual pieces before seaming them all together? Or should you not bother and then block when the seaming is all done? Does it matter?

7 comments:

  1. I like to block after seaming because it helps smooth out bulky seams. I think it gives a smoother transition between pieces, making the sweater look more like a sweater, as opposed to a vest with sleeves sewed on. But it's really just a matter of personal preference and makes little difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Officially" (who makes these rules, anyway?) you're supposed to block before, so everything is the same size when you go to put it all together. I take it on a case-by-case basis; if the pieces line up okay, I don't worry about it.

    P.S. Made any trips to the post office lately? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The knitty article on the subject says repeatedly that blocking is vital. Being in the middle of seaming my first ever adult-sized sweater, I blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is this seaming of which you speak?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to play Pick Up Stitches when I was a kid. And Tiddly-winks.

    Maybe this year I'll make me learn to knit, so I can be a knitterly type, and more importantly, I can makes socks and socks and socks and socks. (God, I love socks.) Are socks easy? Or hard? Or somewhere in between?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definately knock your blorks before your knorking gets bocking your stiches.

    I trust I've helped....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Block first, then seam.

    ReplyDelete