Thursday, February 14, 2008

Heart-Shaped Biscuits

When I was a child, every Valentine’s Day morning, my mother, a notorious non-morning person, would pull herself out of bed to make us a special breakfast. Nestled among the eggs and bacon or the pancakes and sausage, we would always find a couple of heart-shaped biscuits.

That’s what I remembered as I wandered through the Whole Foods, surrounded by men buying bunches of organic roses, 2 dozen for $49.99! As I stood in the busy lunchtime checkout line watching the man in front of me buying chocolate-dipped strawberries, brie, and a baguette, I remembered my mom’s crinkly-edged biscuits, cut in half with a little pool of butter melting slowly in the center,

I saw men trying desperately, at the last minute, to buy a little romance along with their Vitamin Water and Free Range Roast Chicken Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayo. Maybe they can purchase a rose-filled, chocolate-dipped romantic evening, but where is the love? Can they put that on their VISA Debit Cards?

As for me, I know where the love is. It’s in my memories, and it was on my plate every Valentine’s morning, a rock-hard crinkly-edged heart-shaped biscuit.

5 comments:

  1. we got heart-shaped pancakes. :-) On our birthdays, the top pancake always had a smiley face cooked in. (I tried to do the same for a loser ex once and he refused to eat it because it was "creepy".)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (smile)

    Now I know what to do for Mr. Foolery -- I just need somebody's mom to make him BISCUITS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that your mom made you breakfast daily! In my house, we were lucky if she gestured toward the cold cereal. And she sure as hell wasn't about to pour our milk for us unless our arm was broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gayprof: Hm. I can see that my bad writing has lead to a misunderstanding. I meant, "Every Valentine's morning."

    She did make breakfasts most mornings when we were younger. As we got older (like age 6 and could reach the cabinets), we made our own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom favored gesturing toward the PopTarts. Still, this is a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete