Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Update: Jet-Setting Edition

When I got home from work on Friday, I stopped by the boiler room to see how things were going. The heating guys had some good news: One boiler was up and running, which meant heat, but no hot water for the weekend. YAY.

Unfortunately, a few hours later, I received a call from another Board member. "I hope you have a stiff drink in your hand," she said.

"Of course, I do," I replied. "Don't be ridiculous. What's up?"

"There's a foot of sewage back in the boiler room, and the working boiler has stopped."

When WSSC started replacing the broken pipe, they used a smaller pipe to bypass the work area. Unfortunately, the smaller pipe could not convey all the waste and it backed up into the boiler room again. *durf*

So, after moving Isabella into DUN's apartment (because they have an electric heater), I high-tailed it out of there. I called Y to come pick me up (this was around 9:45PM), so I could have a hot shower at his apartment.

Saturday morning, we lounged around for a bit, ate a leisurely late breakfast, and he drove me to the airport. I flew into Raleigh-Durham, where my best friend from my college days, Isa, picked me up.

On the way to the Surprise Party, we decided to stop for some grub. We ended up in Burlington and this Italian joint, Sal's, a place we used to frequent when we were in school. Ah. Memories. I don't think the decor has changed. And the food was the same ... good enough. Filling. And lots of it. Mmm. Mmm.

We arrived in Greensboro a little before 7. I called the brother's girlfriend to see if the brother had arrived yet. He hadn't. So we hurried into the party for the Big Surprise.

The party was fun. My superfantastic [NC-based] cuzin, wife, und baby were there. As were about 50 of the Brother's nearest and dearest friends. Good food. Lots of booze. We left around midnight, I guess. Good times. I have pictures, which I will upload to flickr once I get home this evening (stay tuned!).

Sunday morning, Isa and I got up, talked for a bit, and then I headed back to the airport. I landed a little before noon, and Y picked me up. I called some Board members to get updates on the boiler situation. The heating people weren't able to get parts until today. Needless to say, I didn't go home. I stayed over at Y's. I like heat and hot water. Is that so wrong?

Anyway, the heating people should be there now working on the boilers. Hopefully, we will have heat and hot water tonight. Cross your fingers.


  1. I hope the boiler room will also get doused in bleach.

  2. gayprof: It's been sanitized twice (once after each flooding).

  3. You've had electrical problems ... and a flood ... I only hope it's not pestilence next. A plague of locusts would not be a good thing.

  4. And you're paying that extra rent for what, again?

    At least you got out of town for a lot of it. A basement full of poo sounds just awful! It can't smell too nice either. Is there anything stronger than bleach?

  5. I can't live without hot water. Especially in the winter.