Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekend Update: Dooby Dooby Doo Edition

Wah wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ...

So. My weekend. Hm. Where to begin? I guess with Friday evening?

I was feeling a bit under the weather, so, rather than go out on the town, I ended up in my apartment having drinks and watching DVDs with Tomoko. Then, Y called and wanted to come over. Although I wasn't exactly feeling it, he needed to hang out with friendly faces.

See ... what happened was this: He had a meeting with his advisors, and they told him (and I'm paraphrasing here) that there was no chance in hell that they were ever going to award him a PhD. This came as a bit of a shock since, in May, they admitted him to candidacy and he had been getting improved results with his experiments.

Apparently, they had been giving him (nearly) impossible tasks with (nearly) impossible deadlines in the hopes that he would give up/fail. He didn't. Thus, the advisors had to come straight out and tell him. They've offered to award him a Master's degree (gee, thanks). And Y seems a bit ... lost right now.

Which is understandable.

So, Saturday, while Y moped around, I cleaned out the spare room closet (which was FULL of old paint cans and crap) and started taking my 12 of 12. Then, we went to lunch at El Golfo. Yum. We watched movies and goofed around (I may or may not have taken a nap) until Tomoko's husband's birthday party (which was fun).

Sunday, Y had to go home to call Israel. I cleaned and organized the Linen Closet of My Discontent. Two more closets to go! Around 7:30, the neighbors gathered at Across the Hall from Diagonally Upstairs Neighbor Neighbor's apartment to watch The Lives of Others. It was good, but I still can't completely love it since it stole the Oscar from Pan's Labyrinth.

And that was a rather rambling account of my weekend. Today, I think I am going to make a variation of Mel's Garbanzo Stew for dinner. And, of course, it is Clean the Living/Dining Room Day. Woo hoo.

*smoochez*

Oh. And I just took this quiz ...

92% Barack Obama
90% John Edwards
87% Hillary Clinton
85% Bill Richardson
81% Chris Dodd
77% Joe Biden
71% Mike Gravel
70% Dennis Kucinich
50% Rudy Giuliani
42% John McCain
38% Mitt Romney
36% Mike Huckabee
31% Tom Tancredo
25% Fred Thompson
14% Ron Paul

2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Seems like if he was actually meeting his impossible deadlines and finishing his impossible tasks, they might reconsider their stupid opinions. Jerks. Poor Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't always been a big fan of the way that Y related to you, but his professors seem unnecessarily cruel. It also strikes me as intellectually dishonest.

    ReplyDelete