Wednesday, June 28, 2006

VUBOQ Buys a Book

Here's the deal: I have $20 in Borders' Store Reward Certificates* burning a hole in my pocket. I want to buy a book (even though I have a stack of books on my bedside table that I'm still working on).

I have no idea what I want to buy though. Thus, I am opening it up to YOU (yes, YOU!).

Please leave a comment below with a book suggestion or two. My only requirements are that the books you suggest be available in hardcover, relatively recent, and around $20. I will more than likely be shopping during my afternoon break (at 3:30).

To help get you started, here is a list of books I have read in the past few months (or am currently reading):

~The Weather Makers: How Man is Changing the Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery
~Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert
~Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday
~Shakespeare: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd
~The Underminer: Or, the Best Friend Who Casually Destroys Your Life by Mike Albo



OK. Suggest away!

*I have a Borders VISA. For every $500 I charge, I get a $5 Reward Certificate. I charge everything, so every 2 or 3 months I can get a FREE book. YAY!

7 comments:

  1. My local Borders has an offer on the counter for one of those "life style" books which has a cover saying "Everything you think - Do the opposite" but the bit after the dash is written in mirror writing (to emphasise the "opposite" bit I guess?)

    I've never bought one of those style books before, but I keep picking that one up. It has a clever cover you see? And these things matter...(!)

    I've also flicked through it several times now and want to read more. I guess that makes it appeal to me too.
    Only Me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakepeare - no doubt. And I have borders rewards too - they suck me in - I've spent so much money there in the last year. Oh, and yeah, college girls pretty much = cleavage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no suggestions for you because all I ever read is sci-fi and Vedanta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one book that I've been literally DYING to read is: "We Are Their Heaven" by Allison Dubois. Don't know if that's your thing or not, but at least it's in hardcover! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'd recommend "mostly murder" by sir sidney smith, but it's not a new book and i'm not even sure it's in print anymore. however, if you like biographies of people who lived interesting lives, who have twisted senses of humour, and involves corpses, then it's the book for you.

    if not, then it isn't.

    oh, a good place for book referrals is at not quite sure but she doesn't have a list of the types she likes. however, if you go through her entries, you can find a ton of different reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could recommend some great books but they might not be your cup of tea.
    Having said that, going with your genre, maybe....An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore.
    I tend to take more of a risk when buying a book with reward points than when I pay out of pocket.(It is $21.95 though).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'd suggest Roamitas by Sophia mcDougall, I enjoyed reading that very much. You do need to be big-book-proof, 'cause it's a big girl/guy you're starting in. But the story moves along pretty smooth, and you'll be on the last page before you know it.

    ReplyDelete