Friday, June 02, 2006

Runover by a Truck Full of Illegal Immigrants

As I was crossing the street (in the crosswalk), I saw the truck barreling towards me.

In the split second it took me to make up my mind, I thought "I could keep walking. I have the right of way. But, hmm, they don't look like they have enough money to make it worth the time in the hospital." So, I stopped [in the middle of the street, mind you] and let them pass.

Actually, this is the second time in recent memory that I have almost been hit by trucks driven by Latinos. The previous time, as I was crossing the street (in the crosswalk, with the little green man blinking), the man on the passenger side started yelling at me to get out of the way.

Um. What?

Perhaps, driving rules are different in their countries.

Or maybe they picked up their mad driving skillz from the worst of our nation's drivers, VIRGINIANS!

So here is a little reminder to all of you Car People out there:

Pedestrians (me!) have the right of way. Please do not run us over when we are in the crosswalk.

Surely you can understand the logic. Pedestrians (me!) do minimal damage to cars; however, big hulking hunks of steel barreling around the corner (your cars!) can do lots and lots of damage to brittle little pedestrians (me!).

Is the 30 seconds you save by not stopping for cute pedestrians (me!) worth it?

Probably not.

7 comments:

  1. I would never hit you with my car. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd use a spoon to hit you. that would shatter YOU as quickly as a car. and then you could say (or your ghost could say) that an illegal immigrant rolled you over with a spoon. and you'd only be half wrong. as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i was walking to the bus stop while i was living in calgary, a car came barreling through a red light just as i was going to begin walking across the street. luckily for me, i just happened to glance to my left and tipped back in time to miss being whacked by some driver willing to kill to get home. i really had to tip backwards because my balance was already on the step forward.

    luckily for boy it didn't happen, else he'd not have been born cuz i'd be dead.

    i'm glad you decided that you weren't dying to get to your destination. drivers are stoopid sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you fax this to the great drivers of Ann Arbor? I almost got hit while crossing the street the other day by a man who decided the stop sign was just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How topical! I saw a great example of something similar today. This time it wasn't just a pedstrian crossing that was ignored, it was the complete traffic light system at the end of my road where one major road joins another.

    It was one of those situations where I just couldn't believe what was happening in front of me. The guy just ignored all the red lights and kept edging forward expecting someone on the busy road to let him out. Fucking lunatic. And it almost was certainly an illegal immigrant - I think I'm correct in saying my town has more than any other in the UK.

    In Australia, well Queensland anyway, pedestrians always have the right of way, whether there is a marked crossing or not. That honestly takes some getting used to but I've certainly not got close to hitting anyone yet!
    Only Me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The same thing happens here in Portland as well. We live in NW, which is heavily populated with folks who either walk everywhere, or ride bikes. It always infuriates me when someone can't slow thier butts down to allow myself and my daughter to walk across the flippin' street. Very irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VUBOQ, I think Virginians tend to be the most arrogant (failure to yield: turning left in front of oncoming traffic being one of my pet peeves, followed by barely slowing down before making right turns at red lights). They know what they are doing and just don't care. Marylanders are the worst speeders, and DC drivers are just idiots. I have not noticed any particular ethnic group to be any worse than any other. But you can bet if they do something careless they have a cell phone clamped to their ear.

    ReplyDelete