Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ab ovo usque ad mala

I am making Chinese Tomato and Egg Soup tonight for dinner. Since I am a good, kind-hearted soul (*cough*), here's the recipe that I "follow" ...

Ingredients:

250g/ 9oz tomatoes, skinned [although I have no idea how much that is. I bought 2 tomatoes]
1 egg
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
4 cups/ 1 L/ 1 3/4 pt water [I'm going to use veggie broth]
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 2 tsp water [I usually skip this bit]

And, I think I might add:

1 dollop of chili and garlic paste
salt and pepper

Preparation:

1. Skin the tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for a minute or so and then peel them. Cut into large slices.

2. Beat the egg [ouch!]. Finely chop the spring onions.

Cooking:

Heat a wok or pan over high heat. Add the oil and wait for it to smoke [because smoking is so cool and trendy! Just say no to cigarettes, kids! -- Joe Camel]. Add the spring onions to flavor the oil and then pour in the water. Drop in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce and very slowly pour in the beaten egg. Add the cornflour/water mixture. Stir and serve.

Easy. Peasy.

I spoke with Y about our plans for tonight. Since I am feeling a little under the weather, I said I didn't want to go out. He said he didn't mind coming over. Sooooo, he's coming over. Probably good to get Cranky Sick Vuboq out of the way early on, no?

On my way back to work from the Whole Foods [mmm ... smoothie], there were these missionaries passing out prayer cards. I didn't take one for fear that, if I touched it, I would singe myself when it burst into flames.

3 comments:

  1. you would not have burst into flames, you silly.

    your dinner sounds good. would be great with crustry bread and red wine, yeah?

    have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, you're hardly evil enough to cause prayer cards to combust. Get over yourself.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current eating is so healthy I'm not allowing myself any wheat or egg products either. Sniff. Sounds like a good recipe though, I conceded last Monday and had pizza so I may concede this Monday too and go with an egg. Perhaps even a bread roll instead of more fucking rice cakes...

    ReplyDelete