Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Send in the Clowns

The date was ... interesting.

But, first, I started reading The Rug Merchant on the metro and got so involved I almost missed my stop! It's quite engaging. Either that or it's been so long since I've read fiction that my mind has been story-starved.

Actually, it's been quite awhile since I've read anything. I need to get back into reading.

Anyway, we met at 6ish at Luna Cafe for half-price bottles of wine and food. That was all good, but I'm still not quite sure what to make of him. He was standoffish, then intensely personal. Talkative, then suddenly quiet. Introspective, then flippant. His body language would be inviting, then distant.

I left feeling discombobulated, like he had some other hidden agenda for being there, some secret to which I wasn't quite privy. And, I had the impression that he's someone who is trying just-a-bit too hard to be, well, "gay." Which sounds strange, since he's obviously gay. More like, he's not quite settled into who he is and what he does, and he wants to be this superfabulous gay man and he's not quite *there*.

Seriously, he seemed like a nice guy ... but I couldn't get a good, clear read on him. Which was frustrating.

*eh*

4 comments:

  1. He might have just been nervous and trying to figure out the right mode to project to you. This could explain the multiple personality issue he seemed to have going on.

    Also, I want to know the non-fiction you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...or maybe he's just got multiple personalities.

    But I'd go with gayprof's theory: he was desperately trying to impress, and ended up falling flat. Perhaps he didn't watch enough after school specials; isn't that where we all learned that nothing's more important than "being yourself"? Or was it Oprah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It means you were so hot his brain went stupid on him. If you are so inclined, you can work that until they're putty in your hands. Putty. It's very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omgawd, did you say superfabulous gay man. shudderrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete