Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pussy in a Crate

Yesterday evening was a fun exercise in futility and bad cooking. Woo hoo!

I decided to throw my never-ever going to shrink felted belts in with my laundry. I did one load of colors. Following SuperKnitter Chelsea's advice, I put the belts in a pillowcase. I let the machine fill and agitate for about 10 minutes. Then, I had to dig around in the soapy water to find the stupid pillowcase.

Here's the thing ... setting the washing machine to "colors" is supposed to mean that the clothes will be washed in "warm" water. Apparently, in my laundry room, "warm" means "ice-cold."

Needless to say, the belts are fuzzy, but they are still too long. Why won't the damn things shrink up? WHY? WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

For dinner last night, I decided to make veggie burgers. I had bought this veggie burger mix, Fantastic Foods Natures Burger, which I wanted to try. It was very easy. When it came time to fry them, I coated them with Whole Foods 365 Organic Chipotle and Citrus BBQ Sauce.

I put one on a bun with loads of cheese and salad greens, took a bite, and ...

BLEAH! Gummy McGummypants. EW. And the flavor? It tasted like paste with a packet of their CousCous seasoning added. YUCK! On the plus side, the BBQ sauce was yummilicious. On the minus side, I don't like to waste food, so I still have 5 more of those things to eat. Must figure out way to make them palatable.

Things will be better though. I chatted briefly with CB last night. I think I will call him tonight when I get home.

Since I haven't posted in photos of my pussy lately, I snapped a quick picture this morning. I had to use the flash, which is why Isabella's eyes are closed.

Happy Thursday! *smooch*

5 comments:

  1. Is that the mix-with-tofu burger mix? If so, you want to mix well in advance of eating, and then you want to make thin burgers and fry in a high-temperature oil. They come out okay then.

    I usually just use falafel mix for burgers. It's tasty, good for you, and works in a burger.

    Things don't shrink in cold water, kitten! *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's time to pull out the big guns. Think to yourself -- if these belts don't felt properly, are you ever going to use them? If the answer is no, then you are free to use whatever means necessary. Free!

    First off, I'd try again with the washer. Set it to the lowest water level and the highest possible temperature of water, with a cold rinse if possible. Add detergent. Throw the pillowcase in and see what happens. Even better if you have something you can throw in there to increase agitation, like an old pair of sneakers. Let it go through that cycle twice.

    For extra felt-insurance, take the pillowcase out of the hot water mid-agitation, and plunge it into a bowl of ice water, swish it around, and back into the hot. Something about the changes can help lock the fibers together.

    If you still aren't happy with the result, it's time to break out the kettle. Boiling your knit item is generally considered to be a big no-no, but at this point, what do you have to lose? There's a to-the-point tutorial for boiling over at Knit Like a Pirate, near the bottom of the page: http://www.knitlikeapirate.com/techniques/felting.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um yeah. Cold water. I know nothing except it ain't gonna shrink. If you use shared laundry it's possible the body corporate (or whatever they call it in the US) have plumbed even the hot intake into the cold water.

    That's what the bastards have done over here to save money! Still, should be grateful it's connected at all I guess.

    And please, pretty please, could I exchange some more tacky aussie gifts for some of the burger mix? I fancy a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. make chili with it. that way the flavours will be mixed in with the other ingredients and the texture will be negated by the texture of other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and in commercial laundromat type wash machines, colour is always cold water.

    ReplyDelete