Thursday, July 13, 2006

Random Thoughts on Religion

or, Burning My Crosses Before I Come to Them

or, I Think I Mixed Two Metaphors There ... Maybe Even Three ...

I don't think I've ever tried to explain my religious beliefs in this forum. Probably because I haven't completely explained them to myself yet.

I'm not overly conflicted about religion, like some people I know. However, having a Methodist minister for a father and attending church very regularly for the first 18 years of my life has greatly impacted/ influenced my belief system.

Currently, I classify myself as a non-practicing Christian. To me, that means I try to live by Christian ideals/morals/values without all the worshipping the invisible guy in the sky and his son whose mother was a virgin (uh-huh. right. and so am I) and who was killed but then came back from the dead (hm. yeah. I have problems with that too).

Well, I have problems with literal interpretation, at least. My parents taught me to think critically about issues. My education in the sciences taught me to search for proof, to hypothesize, to test, and to draw rational conclusions from the facts. When you apply this to Christianity -and to other religions- it comes up short. I think it's the faith part of the Faith that I lack.

Which leaves me with trying to live a Christ-like life (y'know, turning water into wine *heh*) without actually believing in any of the Christian mumbojumbo Holy Trinity crap.

I try to treat others with respect. I try to respect myself. I try to help people who need help. But, mostly, I try to be the best person I can be. Most of the time, I fail. But, I keep working at it. When I die, maybe in three days I'll rise from the dead, but more than likely my body will return from whence it came - dirt. Food for worms. A natural part of the cycle of life. I like that.

6 comments:

  1. Well, young man, it sure sounds like you are a Secular Humanist which is what I am. Take the quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took TK's test and came out as 100% Unitarian Universalist. I was 87% Secular Humanist. Not surprisingly Islam and Roman Catholicism came in dead last at 10%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm I didn't even notice before that Mormon came in at 37% on mine. Maybe R. and I have a chance. HAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah, I think that would put you in as a secular humanist or some flavor of agnostic, depending on how wishy-washy you are about the the whole actual faith in God thing. To my mind, 'non-practicing Christian' is someone who does believe in Christ but doesn't attend church or necessarily try to bring Jeebus to others. But that's just my $0.02.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever successfully turn water into wine, I'm making you my love-slave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. in other words, you're a man of ethics without the need to buy into the "morality" of a religion. sounds good to me. oh, and please, i like my wine white and just an eensy bit sweet. dry wines make my jaw hurt.

    ReplyDelete