Friday, July 21, 2006

Seventeen Dollars

Seventeen dollars and thirty-seven cents, to be exact.

That's what my whoppingly huge "merit increase" comes to. So, every two weeks I'm seventeen dollars and thirty-seven cents richer. woo hoo. I'll try not to spend it all in one place. Except, wait, I already did. Curse that J Crew End of Season Summer Clearance sale!

Yesterday, I bought a book! Yay! This one. I felt that, after reading lots of depressing books on climate change and still trudging through a couple of biographies, I needed to read something a little less heavy. Billy recommended it. He reviewed it on his blog.

The book's price was $23.95. However, because I have a Borders Membership Card thing, I got an extra 20% off. AND, because I have a Borders VISA Card that gives me $5 in Reward Certificates for every $500 I charge, I only paid ... wait for it ... $0.12! BARGAIN!

[Or, if you want to look at it in the whole glass is half empty way - $2000.12.]

Which brings us to my credit card philosophy ... When I apply for a credit card, I look for one that a) has no annual fee and b) gives me things for "free." Then, I charge practically everything! With the Borders VISA I get a "free" book or CD or DVD about every 2 or 3 months. Sweet!

The catch is this: You *MUST* pay off your credit card every month! No carrying a balance!

And, why is that, you ask? Because the no-annual-fee-give-you-things-for-free credit cards charge OUTRAGEOUS interest. If you pay the card off every month, you don't get charged the interest! Simple, right? It does require some careful budgeting though. Fortunately, I like keeping a budget. It's nice to know where my money goes (mostly to booze and food). OK, everybody I'm off my soapbox now and I hope you have hopped on the Budget Bandwagon.

Back to last night ...

I met Mike at Macaroni Grill in Silver Spring at 7:30. Mikes's former roommate had given him a $25 Gift Card, so, even though neither of us had ever eaten there before, we thought we'd give it a try. It was pretty good for a chain restaurant. Loads of food. I'll be having the rest of my eggplant parm for lunch today. We had a good talk about how our relationship is progressing, too, I think.

After dinner, I asked if he wanted to come back to my place. He didn't. We talked some more and decided we'd go to his house. We got there around 10:30 and watched Project Runway 3 (I really really do not like Vincent. That man will say or do anything not to be eliminated) with one of his roommates. We went to bed around 12. Had a little "fun."

I had to get up at 6 this morning to get home and to work on time. Ugh. It was so hard. I really could've stayed in bed for another few hours, and Mike wasn't helpful. "Why don't you show up late," he said. Tempting. But, no.

So, here I am. Still a little groggy. Drinking coffee like there's no tomorrow. And hoping the end of the day comes quickly.

Happy Friday, everybody.
*smooch*

4 comments:

  1. You went to bed at 12. had a little fun. Then got up at 6 and it was hard?

    Sounds like you should have had the fun in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, Larry. I tried ;-)
    Mike is *not* an early morning person, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to side with Mike, there. Morning nookie ain't my favorite.

    So, you *think* you had a good talk about where the relationship is going? What's that mean? I say let it all hang out early on, and if you scare him off so be it. I'd rather that than he leads you on and breaks your heart. If you know what you want, SING IT. You want a stable, monogamous, loving relationship between open, communicative people? Ask for it. It's not too much to expect, and YOU DESERVE IT. You make sure he knows you know you deserve it, too. Don't be all respecting his boundaries at the expense of your own, doll. Your heart's pure and because of that worth the world. Don't let some lazy boy take it away from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm flattered you took my book recommendation. We must chat after your read it.

    Listen to Goblinbox.

    ReplyDelete