Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Meat-Free Monday: Georgia Baboons Edition

As I was listening to NPR this morning, one of the segments was called "Books Worth Calling in Sick For" [or something to that affect]. I was in the bathroom and the woman began talking about Savannah Baboons. "Odd," thought I. "I didn't know there were baboons in Georgia."

Later, I realized I was being completely stupid. Savanna Baboons. Duh. Mornings, Pre-Coffee, are not my best time of day. The book sounds interesting, very Jane Goodall-esque. Or, perhaps, Gorillas in the Mist-ish. The book begins with the line:

I had never planned to become a savanna baboon when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a mountain gorilla.
--A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons

I began to create my own sentence ... I had never planned to become a supervisor of the most boring EPA hotline ever when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a ... a ...
and, that's where I got stuck.

I have never "always" thought I would be anything. My career path has never pointed in one unerring direction. When I was a child, I wanted to be a police officer and a firefighter and an astronaut. In late elementary school, I read a book about a man who became one of my heroes, George Washington Carver, and I wanted to be a scientist, creating all sorts of interesting things out of soybeans and sweet potatoes.

In high school, I wanted to be a geneticist.Until I won a teaching fellowship. Then, I wanted to be a teacher.

Ha. That would be one of the great big mistakes of my life.

At university, I became interested in ecology and environmental issues, which is sort of how I ended up here [after teaching in Japan and earning a master's degree], as a supervisor of the most boring EPA hotline ever.

So, my friends and random readers, I challenge you to complete the sentence as well:

I had never planned to become a _____________ when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a _______________.

While you're thinking about it, here's my Meat-Free Monday picture:

Meatfree6

Mini penne pasta in a red pepper, onion, and tomato sauce with cheese. Not overly exciting, but filling.

*meat-free smooches* to all who enjoyed a Meat-Free Meal yesterday.

7 comments:

  1. Now you create all sorts of interesting meat-free recipes out of soybeans and sweet potatoes.

    I never "always" thought I'd be anything when I grew up, either. I assume a lot of people would find that strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never planned to become a "lazy bum being eaten by huge aussie mosquitos while posting a comment to the blog of a complete stranger when I grew up";

    Instead I had always assumed that I would become a "grown-up adult that by age 30 would have some vague idea about what to do with my life."

    Hey ho, we all live and learn, innit?! So long as I'm having fun and enjoying it I don't really care too much. Apart from these mossies. It's supposed to be winter, and they're supposed to be dead. Bastards.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never planned to become a _DSL engineer_ when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a _rock star_.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (You're such a teacher, giving us all an assignment.)

    (Heh. Ass. Ignment.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm...

    thought provoking.

    so, i'm just going to ignore it.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never planned to become a scientist when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a ... um, scientist.

    Of course, just because I knew it was coming doesn't mean that was what I dreamed of being. I just had realistic expectations as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never planned to become a nelly old queen when I grew up; instead, I had always assumed I would become a beautiful crocodile.

    ReplyDelete