Monday, July 31, 2006

Knowledge. Skills. Abilities.

Too bad "None of the Above" is not an option.

I'm working on an application for a position at HUD for which I believe I am very well-qualified. However, turning that belief into actual words to answer the stupid KSAs is driving me BATTY!

Actually, KSAs in general drive me batty. I wonder if anyone ever reads them, or are they used as a means to weed out the lazier applicants?

The particular KSAs for this job are:

1. Knowledge of environmental, housing, or health and safety rules and regulations.
2. Ability to analyze and evaluate data and make recommendations or provide guidance based on the review and analysis of data.
3. Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate, both orally and in writing, with diverse stakeholders.

KSA 1 is super-easy. I tore through that one in about 5 minutes. KSA 2 and 3, on the other hand, are a lot harder. For 2, I don't really have any quantifiable experience. I mean, I look at numbers and make recommendations ... but I don't draw graphs and put it all into PowerPoint presentations or anything. And, for 3, once again, it seemed super-easy, but I'm having difficulty putting what I want to say into words (hmm ... yes, I'm such an effective communicator, like, y'know?).

Anyway, Bobby said last night that I should limit my response to 1/2 page each. Right now, "limiting" isn't the problem.

I was hoping to get this mailed out today, but more than likely, I'll have to take it to the Post Office tomorrow morning. The position closes on August 3rd. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. 2. MS Excel does auto graphs for you, so could you mention "years of experience using Microsoft Office"? Maybe you only normally use Word but you could imply that you spend lots of time banging out graphs.

    3. Mention that you actually write for an internet website in your spare time (just don't say that it's blogger.com) and that you receive regular feedback that your articles are clearly written and enjoyable to read.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you to have finally found a job you thought looked interesting enough to apply for! I do, however, have one minor concern... you are way too motivated of a person to work at HUD!! Haa!! My request is, if you get hired, to please do not turn into the typical HUD employee that I am growing to hate each and every day! :)

    ReplyDelete